The President Akufo-Addo has applauded the contribution of Zenith Bank to the deepening of financial intermediation in the country.
Describing it as “a pan-African Bank”, the President said institutions like Zenith Bank with encouragement and support can bring the African continent together for the future prosperity of her people.
The President made these comments at the commissioning of the new headquarters of Zenith Bank at Ridge in Accra.
Explaining the rationale for his presence at the ceremony, the President said, “what is going on here [at Zenith Bank] ticks of so many boxes that are important to me, and I thought I should come here and show my solidarity with what is going on here.”
The President noted that, in the example of Jim Ovia, founder of Zenith Bank, “we have, first of all, the example of a dynamic entrepreneur, who has built this company, which has gone global. It is in South Africa, England, China, and several places in Africa.”
President Akufo-Addo in a handshake with Zenith Bank's founder Jim Ovia
“The initiative and sense of risk-taking and entrepreneurship that Zenith Bank represents is what, I believe, will drive our country and our continent forward. We need many more Jim Ovia. The more the merrier,” he added.
President Akufo-Addo also congratulated Zenith Bank for paying attention to another important aspect of Ghana’s development – education of young people – through its scholarship facility at the Ashesi University.
He described the initiative as “tremendous, and I applaud him very much for it.”
The President assured the bank of government’s maximum support and wished all those associated with Zenith Bank the best of luck in the coming years.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- See list: BoG bans 125 persons from holding current account
- MTN adjudged CSR company of the year
- Inlaks partners Temenos to win core banking application project in Cameroon
- UBA Ghana exceeds BoG’s minimum capital requirement
- Emirates expands partnership with Uber to offer seamless journey
- Communications ministry fights BoG over Mobile Money data
- Ranking of 20 Most Credible Banks in Ghana revealed
- World's 'most excellent' airlines for 2019 revealed
- Ghana Commodity Exchange executes first electronic trade
- Japan's economy has a $5 trillion problem
- MPS port project will lead to $2bn, 1,400 job loss if not renegotiated – D.I.
- Minority predicts more taxes in 2019 budget
- Newton-Offei writes: My postcard from Sandton
- Read: Minority's assessment of economy ahead of 2019 budget presentation
- MTN aims to offer mobile banking in Nigeria next year