Head of the Economics Division at the Institute of Statistical Social and Economics Research (ISSER), has called on government to consider proper regional balance for the establishment of the 1D1F initiative.
According to Prof. Peter Quartey, an observation by the institute indicates that some regions in the country are yet to have a factory.
He was speaking at a post-budget forum organized by the ISSER to review the 2019 budget statement and economic policy of the government.
“Ultimately, every district will get a factory as the policy suggests but we would like to encourage the government to promote some level of regional balance.
Moreover, going forward, we recommend that for the district that is close to or hosting the oil and gas activities, the projects under 1D1F should have some forward linkages with the upstream oil and gas sector,” he said.
The government in the 2019 budget allocated GHs1billion to boost the industrialization programme.
About 79 projects are at various stages of completion throughout the country.
According to the Institute of Statistics, Social and Economic Research, only one of the 79 approved projects under the programme is located in the Western region where the upstream oil and gas activities are located.
Prof. Quartey in his presentation called on the government to spread the program for all ten regions.
He, however, lauded some interventions announced in the budget to deal with the country’s industrial sector.
“The 2018 growth rates and the medium-term targets for the various sectors appears to show that a more balanced and broad-based growth is being pursued.”
Prof. Quartey describes the 2019 budget as ambitious and inspires hope provided all the intentions are translated into outcomes to yield positive returns to the economy.
Have your say
More Business Headlines
- Opportunity International drives financial literacy in rural communities
- AirtelTigo partners Huawei to boost smartphone usage with free data
- Africa's no. 1 bank says Lonmin Investors should reject bid
- Entervarsity launches platform to aid students' search on courses
- VIDEO: Review of Ghana’s home ownership, mortgage space
- Court orders arbitration on uniBank
- Stratcomm Africa CEO inspires young Women in PR Ghana
- Facebook plans to launch 'GlobalCoin' currency in 2020
- Unilever Ghana records 296% increase in profits for 2018
- Senegal imports turbines for West Africa's first big wind farm project
- Six oil exploration blocks up for grabs in Voltaian basin
- Stakeholders urge GNPC to be more transparent with crude oil trade
- 200 Muslim households benefit from Karpowership Ramadan donation
- Three Ghanaians complete Inlaks Graduate Development Programme in Lagos
- GOIL grows profits by 26% in 2018