Audio By Carbonatix
The Member of Parliament for Asawase, Muntaka Mubarak has denied claims that Alban Bagbin was made Speaker of the House after a consensus.
According to him, although some ballots were spoilt after his colleague Carlos Ahenkorah grabbed them during the process, the votes for Prof Mike Oquaye had already been counted and a spoilt ballot had been identified.
He told Emefa Apawu on JoyNews’ The Probe Sunday, that since every member of the House voted, the maths shows that subtracting Prof Oquaye’s 136 and the one spoilt ballot from the total 275 leaves 138 votes, which goes for Mr Bagbin.
“When Carlos Ahenkorah picked the sheets, we were struggling to get them. He tore some and put it in his mouth. Unfortunately, when we brought them and we put them together we noticed that some of the papers were not there."
"That is why we insisted that fortunately once we have finished counting one which was 136 and there was one spoilt, it meant that rest is 138,” he told Emefa Apawu, host of the show.
Mr Mubarak added that about five people sorted out the ballots after voting adding they were careful every single ballot was placed where it should be.
His statement follows claims by some MPs including Osei Kyei Mensah Bonsu and the NPP deputy chief whip Habib Iddrisu that both parties had come to a consensus to choose Alban Bagbin as the next Speaker.
Mr Iddrisu said both competitors garnered 136 votes each with one rejected ballot and two uncountable ballots.
In view of that, the leadership of both NPP and NDC had to reach an agreement to make Mr Bagbin, who was nominated by the NDC as Speaker, he said.
However, Mr Mubarak stated “that was an absolute lie” adding that the NDC had even insisted the Clerk who was chairman announce the results.
"When the Chair was announcing the winner you heard him say elected so that is his (Kyei Mensah) own imagination."
The Asawase MP claimed that the NPP after the chaotic Speaker election in the House had even suggested they wanted to withdraw the nomination of Prof Mike Oquaye.
“We said the vote had been counted we know the results, it is the results that we are going to declare, we are not going to re-run. We are not going to take these sheets that Carlos took because they had been tampered with.”
“But the simple arithmetic was that 275 of us voted we have this part which is one 136 we have this ballot which is spoilt, we all know when you take that out what is left is 138.”
Latest Stories
-
GES denies GH¢1,500 Free SHS payment directive, urges parents to ignore viral claim
5 minutes -
The losses were necessary – Manteaw defends GoldBod’s costly push to win Ghana’s gold market
14 minutes -
We are concerned about inflation outlook when it comes to MPC decisions – BoG Governor
25 minutes -
GoldBod had to ‘pay more’ to beat Indians, Chinese in Ghana’s gold market – Manteaw
30 minutes -
Gov’t pays GH¢10.8bn DDEP Coupon in full and on schedule
42 minutes -
GCAA owes GMet over GH¢50m in statutory payments – Director-General
50 minutes -
Accra Mall brings families together with back-to-school bonanza
60 minutes -
GoldBod’s $1.7bn loss is worth it; forex gains have stabilised Ghana’s economy, Manteaw says
1 hour -
Pastor Mensa Otabil’s mother-in-law to be buried today
1 hour -
GoldBod losses: Why act like Ghana has never lost money on Gold? – Manteaw
2 hours -
Don’t credit GoldBod for Ghana’s macroeconomic stability – Bokpin
2 hours -
US lifts security restrictions on ships from Nigeria after 12 years
2 hours -
Oil edges up on uncertainty over exports through Hormuz
2 hours -
US judge allows Trump to end thousands of Ethiopians’ deportation protections
3 hours -
Liberia agrees to accept up to 1,200 third-country deportees from US
3 hours