Guy Brice Parfait Kolelas, one of the main contenders in Congo-Brazzaville’s presidential race, died on Sunday after becoming seriously ill with Covid-19.
His campaign director told the AFP news agency that Mr Kolelas “died in the medical aircraft which came to get him from Brazzaville on Sunday afternoon”.
The 61-year-old tested positive for coronavirus on Friday, the last day of election campaigns.
He was diabetic and was one of six candidates running against President Sassou Nguesso, 77.
Sunday’s election was smooth and with low participation, according to observers.
A day before the election, Mr Kolelas was filmed looking weak and wearing an oxygen mask, but encouraging voters to go cast their ballots.
He was the son of a former prime minister and previously held the position of minister of fishing and civil servants.
The electoral law doesn’t annul the election if one of the candidates dies.
- CCTV footage shows final moment of student-journalist who was killed in a hotel
- Armed robbers kill police officer, eyewitness and injure bullion van driver at James Town
- We’ll stop escorting your cash if you don’t acquire armoured bullion vans – IGP warns banks
- Nkrumah was playful, not a dictator – Former lady-in-waiting to Fathia Nkrumah
- Government to borrow ¢2.9bn in fresh funds between June and August 2021
- Bullion van attack at James Town: IGP directs CID to take over investigation
- GPL: Asante Kotoko beat Inter Allies in five-goal thriller
- Behind the scenes: Stephen Appiah and Laryea Kingston when #EurosOnMGL cameras are off
- Former dance champion, Alex Ofori, dead
- Bankers Association to hold emergency meeting over carting of currencies across country
Ghana complete Asian tour with no wins after South Korea defeat
Tracey Boakye holds plush birthday party for 1-year-old daughter; showers cash on her
Say it right: ‘Request’ not ‘request for’
Police should step up their game in retrieval of unlicensed firearms – Accra Mayor after bullion van attack
“Concerned Staff of GCB” publication on bad corporate governance and others, false, malicious – GCB Bank
Driver of GNPC boss loses wife in attack by gunmen in Kumasi
Euros On MGL: Hungary v Portugal betting preview
Ghana, Kenya to facilitate inter-regional trade
Execute prisoners who have been sentenced to death – Deputy A-G designate
Ecobank Ghana pledges support for women in agriculture
13-year-boy kills 2 bandits who kidnapped him
John Boadu petitions CID over alleged involvement in ‘galamsey’
14-year-old storms police station to report father for rape
Strikes work, it is a very strong tool – Ofosu Asamoah
Lawyer for Achimota Rasta students resigns from NDC