The new Covid-19 variant, referred to as ‘Delta’, is classified by some Researchers as being at least, 60% more transmissible than the Alpha strain.
Amongst a bunch of other strains, Delta is fast becoming the most dangerous to combat.
The strain originated from India.
Joy Research checks reveal that Delta is now present in more than 80 countries globally.
In the UK, the variant is the most dominant – accounting for about 90% of cases.
Out of 42 deaths in people with Delta variant infections in the UK, 23 were unvaccinated, 7 had received only one dose and 12 had received two doses more than two weeks earlier.
Focus on Ghana
- In Ghana, the West Africa Center for Cell Biology and Infectious Pathogens (WACCBIP) has announced the presence of the Delta strain in the country.
- This was later confirmed by the Ghana Health Service (GHS). The GHS emphasized that the variant was imported hence the need to intensify checks at our borders and ports.
- Ghana currently has about 45 strains of the Covid-19 virus.
Focus on Africa
- In Southern parts of Africa, the WHO requested the U.S to send 30 million Covid-19 vaccines to Zambia, Angola and Zimbabwe before a third wave hits. The number of deaths is doubling every week in some countries, such as Zambia
- The South African variant (Beta) is considered to be present in the countries including; Zambia, Angola, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Botswana, Namibia, Lesotho, and the Kingdom of Eswatini as a consequence of cross-border commerce.
- The British variant (Alpha) is also common in the region, with a few occurrences of the Delta variant, found in South Africa and Zambia.
Vaccine effectiveness on the Delta strain
- At a recent White House Briefing in the U.S it was noted that the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine is 88% effective in preventing illness caused by the Delta strain.
- In addition, the AstraZeneca vaccine, has been shown to be 60% effective against the Delta variant, though scientists expect even greater protection against hospitalization and death caused by the strain.
Covid-19 Strains and their origin
- Alpha variant – United Kingdom
- Beta variant – South Africa
- Gamma – Brazil
- Delta – India
- Lambda – South America
- ‘How can people lie like this?’ – E. T. Mensah on NDC’s Saglemi Housing project defence
- Volta, Bono, Bono East regions emerge as Covid-19 hotspots
- 10 more deaths recorded in Ghana’s Covid-19 fight
- UG to cough up $165m judgment debt for abrogating Africa Integras partnership
- If any person should be prosecuted over Saglemi, it should be E. T. Mensah – Stan Dogbe
- Founders’ Day: We must work to free ourselves from colonial power that binds us – Akufo-Addo
- Michael Jai White loses oldest son to Covid-19
- Stop rolling out new projects until all existing ones are completed – Mahama tells government
- Today’s front pages: Thursday, August 5, 2021
- Playback: NPP commemorates 29-year anniversary
Nana Frema Busia: K. A. Busia would support #FixTheCountry!
Vodafone CEO wins Ghana Women of the Year Honours, Technology Category
Inaccurate solar production estimates impact all players in African power value chain
Patrick Acham: #FixTheCountry demonstration not a good recipe for an institutional change
August 4 demonstration is just the beginning of processes to #FixTheCountry Convener – Barker-Vormawor
Man shot dead in robbery attack at Akyem-Asuom
Tourism Minister charge youth to share ideas to help revive sector
Assume good position when breastfeeding to avoid complications – Midwife advises women
Applications for UK government’s Chevening Scholarships opens
#FixTheCountry demonstration to be replicated in Kumasi and all other capitals – Convenors
Playback: NPP commemorates 29-year anniversary
Tokyo 2020: Ghana’s 4×100 men’s team qualify for final after breaking national record
BoG’s trading platform : cedi hits ¢5.99; forex bureaux sell at ¢6.01 plus
We’ve lost about ¢720k to African Swine fever – Saki pig farmers
UG to cough up $165m judgment debt for abrogating Africa Integras partnership