Audio By Carbonatix
South Africa says it will on Monday reopen 20 of its land border crossings that were shut last month to try to stop the spread of Covid-19 infections.
The decision was taken at a cabinet meeting on Saturday.
South Africa has been hit hard by a second wave of the outbreak linked to a new variant of the disease.
It has recorded almost 1.5 million infections and more than 47,000 Covid-related deaths - by far the highest toll in Africa.
Globally, more than 108 million cases have been confirmed since the start of the outbreak late in 2019, with nearly 2.3 million deaths, according to America's Johns Hopkins University.
What did South Africa's government say?
On Saturday, the government announced that borders with Zimbabwe, Botswana, Mozambique, Namibia, Lesotho and Eswatini would be opened.
"The active and orderly management of people through our borders is an important part of the country's overall risk adjusted approach to control the spread of Covid-19," said Home Affairs Minister Aaron Motsoaledi.
But the minister warned that all those wanting to cross the borders must produce proof of negative Covid tests taken recently.
Mr Motsoaledi said he would personally visit the four busiest crossings to observe the processing of travellers.
South Africa shut its borders with neighbouring countries on 11 January after the new variant of Covid-19 was detected.
A number of countries have since banned all travel to and from South Africa.
Latest Stories
-
What is wrong with us: Africans know mining, but do not understand the business and consequences of mining
1 minute -
Ghana Sports Fund begins grassroots field assessment in Volta North, uncovers talent and infrastructure gaps
4 minutes -
Persons with disabilities are not objects of pity — Volta Social Welfare Director urges mindset shift
14 minutes -
Burkina Faso attack: Desist from sharing gory images of victims – Muntaka
27 minutes -
Political scientist supports NDC dual-role directive, calls for legal backing
37 minutes -
GH¢5.7bn haemorrhage: Ghana’s tomato crisis exposed as Chamber of Agribusiness unveils 2030 rescue plan
42 minutes -
Fifi Kwetey slams opponents of directive on dual roles as ‘greedy’ and ‘mercenaries’
1 hour -
Analyst condemns victim-shaming in Russian exploitation saga
1 hour -
Ghana’s Blue Economy in 2026: Taking actions now, leveraging blue resources for sustainable growth
1 hour -
I was once a ‘Bob no rank’; Everybody will have their turn — Afenyo to TESCON members
1 hour -
Tony Aidoo urges NDC to focus on policy communication, not personal praise for Mahama
2 hours -
Akuafoɔ Anidasoɔ: A new dawn for Ghana’s farmers
2 hours -
NTC announces eligibility criteria and registration details for 2026 GTLE 1
2 hours -
No public land to be allocated without minister’s prior approval – Armah-Buah announces sweeping reforms to protect state lands
2 hours -
Ashanti Regional Minister inaugurates spatial planning committees, unveils plan to restore Kumasi’s green glory
3 hours
