European Union officials will discuss later a co-ordinated response to a new, more infectious coronavirus variant in the UK, which has led many countries to impose travel bans.
Germany, France and Italy are among those to suspend flights from the UK. Outbound train services through the Channel Tunnel have also been halted.
Canada is also blocking UK flights.
Covid: EU to discuss response to variant as travel bans on UK expand https://t.co/bMsbspj9IM— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) December 21, 2020
Health officials say the new variant is up to 70% more transmissible, but there is no evidence that it is more deadly.
There is also no proof to suggest that it reacts differently to vaccines.
UK Health Secretary Matt Hancock said the new variant was “getting out of control”, while Denmark, Italy and the Netherlands announced they had already detected it.
The European Council meeting of government representatives is expected to take place at 10:00 GMT. The speed at which governments have announced their bans on travellers from the UK shows the scale of the alarm, the BBC’s Gavin Lee in Brussels reports.
Also on Monday, the EU’s medicines regulator is expected to recommend approving the Pfizer-BioNTech coronavirus vaccine for use in all 27 states.
The European Medicines Agency (EMA) is meeting a week early to decide on the vaccine which is already being administered in the UK and in the US.
If it gives the green light, official approval from the European Commission is expected to follow on Wednesday and vaccine distribution may begin in some EU states as early as Sunday.
- Task force destroys excavators allegedly belonging to NPP Women’s Organiser
- Mahama’s ‘dumsor’ is different from Akufo-Addo’s – Kweku Awotwi
- Dr. Adoma Dwomo-Fokuo Odame: Dear Sam George, red is the only colour that matters
- Ghanaians to re-register SIM cards in June or risk losing phone numbers
- 23-year-old arrested for attempting to sacrifice his nephew for money
- Armed robbers jailed for robbing, raping pregnant woman
- Leicester issue Chelsea apology over Daniel Amartey FA Cup actions
- We pay ‘big money’ taxes and yet they burn our equipment – XtraGold Mining Company
- “I’m not proud of it” – referee for Hearts v Sharks game apologises for errors
- Galamsey: Desilting and dredging of the Offin river underway
Message from the Morning Man: The Demon Judges
Ghana will enforce Covid-19 restrictions until herd immunity is achieved – Akufo-Addo
Akufo-Addo’s approach to galamsey fight akin to mob justice – NDC
Maritime insecurity remains a big threat-CDS
NPP Women’s Organizer seeks justice for burnt mining equipment
Kajeji SHS in dire need of infrastructure 30 years after its establishment
IES MarketScan: A year on, why hasn’t ENI and Springfield unitized as directed
Withdraw illegal guards or lose your license – Forestry Services Division cautions Licensed Timber contractors
Senior Staff Association at Universities of Ghana resume strike after no-show Tier II
Registration of SIM cards with Ghanacard likely to begin soon – Bawumia
Anthony Joshua v Tyson Fury: Deontay Wilder arbitration casts doubt over Saudi Arabia bout
DCOP Opare Addo vows to take action against Delta Force following his attempted forceful removal from office
Ayew gives Swansea narrow lead over Barnsley in Championship play-offs
Mark Okraku-Mantey and arbitrators resolve MUSIGA election impasse
Francis-Xavier Sosu: Dishonesty of government in its economic management exposed by IMF