The Premier League says 36 players and club staff have tested positive during the latest rounds of testing for Covid-19.
The league conducted 2,593 tests across two rounds over the past week.
Between 4 and 7 January there were 27 new positive tests and nine more were found during testing between 8 and 10 January.
The number is a slight decrease on the 40 positive tests following last week’s rounds of testing.
The news comes on the day Tottenham’s Premier League match at Aston Villa was postponed because of coronavirus cases in the Villa camp, and after Scottish football below the Championship was suspended for three weeks from midnight because of the rising number of cases.
Last week, Villa manager Dean Smith and his first-team squad had to isolate and their training ground was closed following 14 positive tests at the club. They fielded a side featuring academy players in the 4-1 FA Cup defeat by Liverpool last Friday.
There has been a sharp surge in cases during the past two weeks. Last week’s total of 40 was more than double the number of the previous week, while the total of 76 since 28 December is higher than the total positive cases from the previous six rounds combined.
|Weekly breakdown of PL Covid-19 testing|
|Week||Number of tests conducted||Number of positive results|
|1 (31 Aug-6 Sep)||1,605||3|
|2 (7-13 Sep)||2,131||4|
|3 (14-20 Sep)||1,574||3|
|4 (21-27 Sep)||1,595||10|
|5 (28 Sep-4 Oct)||1,587||9|
|6 (5-11 Oct)||1,128||5|
|7 (12-18 Oct)||1,575||8|
|8 (19-25 Oct)||1,609||2|
|9 (26 Oct-1 Nov)||1,446||4|
|10 (2-8 Nov)||1,646||4|
|11 (9-15 Nov)||1,207||16|
|12 (16-22 Nov)||1,530||8|
|13 (23-29 Nov)||1,381||10|
|14 (30 Nov-6 Dec)||1,483||14|
|15 (7-13 Dec)||1,549||6|
|16 (14-20 Dec)||1,569||7|
|17 (21-27 Dec)||1,479||18|
|18 (28 Dec-3 Jan)||2,295||40|
|19 (4 Jan-10 Jan)||2,593||36|
- Blunt and Blay: Real reason why the Church won’t allow a Muslim student to fast in a ‘Mission School’
- National security cloned #FixTheCountry protester’s mobile phone – Barker-Vormawor alleges
- #FixTheCountry organisers exhibited ‘bad faith’ during National Security meeting – Godfred Dame
- #FixTheCountry: How an IGP meet-up turned into a ‘Cabinet Meeting’, without the IGP – Convenor reveals
- Ghana loses $200m to untapped online forex trading market
- Prince Misizulu named next Zulu king amid family feud
- #FixTheCountry: Convenors of protest disappointed in Supreme Court over hearing scheduled for June
- Akufo-Addo has not lived up to expectation – Kofi Bentil
- I have no regrets participating in ‘OccupyFlagstaffHouse’ protest – Kofi Bentil
- Playback: Newsfile discusses #FixTheCountry brouhaha; Muslim students not allowed to fast in public Christian school
Ghana recorded 10,684 newborn jaundice cases in 2020
Takoradi Technical University establishes Cyber-security Centre
Covid-19 remains a threat to national security – Interior Minister
Armed robber nabbed in Tema
Driver arrested for robbery at Gindabor, 5 others on the run in Savannah Region
We tried to have children for about 10 years – Ebo Whyte’s wife recounts
Teachers call for improved working conditions
Aguero misses penalty as Chelsea’s win makes Man City wait for title
Bayern celebrate winning ninth straight Bundesliga title with 6-0 victory
Atletico stay top after draw at Barca
It’ll take time for government to get economy back on track – Kojo Oppong Nkrumah
IntelAfrique: Part 1 – Race to NPP flagbearership
Enimil Ashon: What is $25m to a cockroach!
Bawumia’s response to #FixTheCountry campaign not a solution to issues raised – Ofosu Kwakye
#FixTheCountry: How an IGP meet-up turned into a ‘Cabinet Meeting’, without the IGP – Convenor reveals