Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, has reiterated what he considers to be the cause of the prevailing economic crisis.
The Minister listed the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020 coupled with the war between Russia and Ukraine as the cause for the country’s predicament.
Mr Ofori-Atta was in Parliament on Thursday to update the House on the measures taken towards meeting the debt conditions to secure a $3 billion bailout from the International Monetary Fund (IMF).
This is not the first time government has cited these factors to explain the current state of the economy.
However, on all occasions, the Minority has fought against these claims, citing economic mismanagement and reckless borrowing as the real causes.
While addressing Parliament on the progress of the Domestic Debt Exchange Programme, the Minister felt the need to highlight the point again in drumming home the purpose of the debt restructuring programme.
“Let me clarify that, the current state of our debt is because of the lingering effects of the CoVID-19 pandemic, the Russia–Ukraine war. This has been exacerbated by the high macroeconomic instability experienced in 2022, occasioned by downgrades by rating agencies as well as the consequential pressures on Government finances due to the actions of non-resident investors and the delayed passage of our revenue bills,” he said.
Meanwhile, North Tongu legislator, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa is baffled as to why the government is still attributing the abysmal state of the economy to these external factors.
For now, the deadline for the DDEP has elapsed with the Ministry confirming about 85% participation.
Earlier this week, the IMF also appointed Leonard Chumo as a Resident Adviser in financial sector supervision to the Bank of Ghana (BoG).
He is to provide technical assistance and help build the capacity of the banking supervision function.
“At the request of Bank of Ghana and fully funded by Switzerland’s State Secretariat for Economic Affairs, SECO, the International Monetary Fund (IMF) has assigned a Resident Adviser in financial sector supervision to the Bank of Ghana”, a statement from the BoG read
- Nigerian states cut working week to three days
- Special Prosecutor secures court order to arrest Charles Bissue
- Arrest of Prof Frimpong-Boateng disrespectful, tone down – Prof Gyampo cautions Special Prosecutor
- Frimpong-Boateng’s arrest by OSP was lawful – Joseph Kpemka
- Our mission was successful until big-people-sponsored-companies started doing whatever they want – Prof. Frimpong on IMCIM
- Saglemi: Former Housing Ministry Chief Director wheeled to court to face 43 criminal charges
- We need clarification – Bagbin calls for Gyakye Quayson’s name to be retained in Parliament’s records
- I did my job; I tried to make Ghana a better place – Prof Frimpong-Boateng
- Woman dies after eating poisoned chocolates sent by her ex-boyfriend’s jealous lover
- Ken Ansah wins CEO of the Year again but transfers praise to his talented team
- If Funny Face and I get back together, you’d just be the fool – Vanessa mocks naysayers
- EFF joins other Pan African movements to stand with the people of Sudan
- Popular actress opens up about her past: From love to hatred towards her mother
- Ghana Climate Innovation Centre to host the 5th annual Incubating Climate Innovation Symposium
- ‘Sex for grades’ outlawed by Nigeria’s parliament
- Book Review: ‘Her Virginity’; thinking she was loved by the best!
- Camidoh nominated in 2023 BET Awards
- Charles Bissue will not turn himself in despite court order for his arrest – Lawyer
- Wendy Shay thrills music lovers as she gets featured by one of Haiti’s biggest music star, K-Dilak
- Contact NCA if you are without Ghana Card and your SIM has been deactivated – Ursula
- Anthrax outbreak: FDA attributes it to butchers’ disregard for food safety standards
- Fight against galamsey: Residents of Segyemase worried about destruction of their water bodies
- District Education leaders embark on Change Leadership Programme
- Black Stars midfielder Salis Abdul Samed signs one-year contract extension with Lens
- Chelsea reject Emerson Palmieri makes history with Conference League win