https://www.myjoyonline.com/death-of-kalpohin-shs-student-shows-flaws-in-our-system-alhassan-suhuyini/-------https://www.myjoyonline.com/death-of-kalpohin-shs-student-shows-flaws-in-our-system-alhassan-suhuyini/
Tamale North MP, Alhassan Suhuyini

The Member of Parliament for Tamale North, Alhassan Suhuyini, says the recent death of a student at Kalpohin SHS reflects the flaws in the country's educational system.

According to Mr. Suhuyini, any school with over 2000 students should have basic amenities including a well-equipped sick bay and school bus.

Speaking to JoyNews, the NDC MP revealed that the lack of these basic necessities contributed to the various deaths recorded.

“You do not have a sick bay to attend to minor ailment and even arrange transportation when the need be for a sick student to go to a bigger health facility. It is just unacceptable; in this day and age we should not have such a situation,” he stressed.

The MP also blamed the challenges in the various secondary schools on the government's Free SHS policy.

His comments follow the death of another SHS student.

The latest incident comes barely a week after the unfortunate demise of Aburi Girls SHS student, Stacy Okyere, and Kester Vadje who attended Akim Swedro SHS.

Both Stacy Okyere and Kester Vadje, are said to have asked for exeat to go home and seek medical attention but were allegedly denied by their teachers.

But touching on the death, Mr Suhuyini said “In all of this my heart goes out to the family of the student. I think that they are having to deal with the worst end of this situation”.

Background


The Senior Housemaster of Kalpohin Senior High School in Tamale has been reported to the Northern Regional Police Command for negligence, which led to the death of a student.

The 17-year-old student, who sadly passed away on Sunday night, was supposed to be taken to the hospital by his fellow students after receiving permission from the senior housemaster.

Moses Baffoe, who lives in Tamale, saw the sick student vomiting at the school’s entrance while he was going home.

Baffoe tried twice to get the senior housemaster's attention to help the student, but his attempts were unsuccessful.

On the third try, the housemaster eventually reached the school entrance, but by that time, the student had already been transported to the Tamale Teaching Hospital for medical care.

Afterward, Mr. Baffoe reported the senior housemaster to the police for negligence upon discovering that the student had passed away before reaching the hospital.

DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.


DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.



WhatsApp Icon