The National Association of Graduate Teachers (NAGRAT) has reiterated its opposition to being included in the ongoing Debt Exchange Programme.
The President of NAGRAT, Angel Carbonu stated that the Association’s position has not changed since the introduction of the programme by the government.
Speaking in an interview on Joy FM on Wednesday, February 1, Mr Carbonu said any attempt to include them will be resisted fiercely.
He thus asked the government to find other alternatives in solving the current economic crisis the country is faced with.
“That is why we have issued a press release today to reiterate our position that our position is not shifted from the pre-December position and that you cannot pass through the back door and introduce things that will eventually mean people’s pension funds have been compromised.
“Let me ask the question that in all the economic strategies to solve our problems, do we think as a country that the Debt Exchange Programme is the only way? This question I expect people to ask government and the government to answer to all of us,” he said.
Already, Organised Labour on Wednesday reiterated it will stick with a promise by the government to exempt all pension funds from its Domestic Debt Exchange Programme (DDE).
It will thus not participate, nor permit the inclusion of any of its Pension Schemes in any Domestic Exchange Programme, according to a resolution passed by Organised Labour and contained in a statement issued Wednesday afternoon.
According to Organised Labour, per an agreement it signed with the Government of Ghana on Thursday, 22nd December, 2022, the non-inclusion of pension funds in the programme was final.
It therefore served notice that it will fiercely resist any attempt to go contrary to that position.
They say Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta and Minister for Employment and Labour Relations, Ignatius Baffour-Awuah, signed the said agreement on behalf of the Government while Dr. Anthony Yaw Baah, Secretary General of TUC, signed on behalf of Organised Labour, paragraph 1 of which stated as follows:
“Organised Labour hereby reiterates that, this position is FINAL as far as involvement of Pension Funds in the DDEP is concerned. By this, Organised Labour and ALL our Pension Schemes are not participating in any DDE Programme as per the aforementioned exemption from Government.
“Any contrary communication or position is alien to us and should be dismissed by all well- meaning Ghanaians. Any attempt to go contrary to this agreement will be fiercely resisted by Organised Labour.
Organised Labour therefore assured “all workers of Ghana” it will continue to safeguard their interest at all times.
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government