Audio By Carbonatix
Education Minister, Dr Yaw Osei Adutwum is expected to appear before Parliament's Education Committee on Thursday, over the 'Placement for Sale' documentary.
Dr Adutwum is expected to respond to the report that his outfit had carried out investigations into senior high school placement bribery allegations a year ago, yet had not published findings and recommendations to the public.
Ranking Member of the Committee, Peter Notsu-Kotoe disclosed this on Joy FM's Newsnight show on Tuesday.
“The chairman and I have decided that we should call the Minister before the Committee on Thursday.
"I am very much aware that the chairman gave instructions to the clerk of the Committee to summon the Minister to appear before us on Thursday.
“So tomorrow, we will find out if the correspondent has got to the office of the Minister and what his response is,” he said.
On Monday, a documentary by The Fourth Estate revealed that parents had to pay money to some middlemen for their children to be placed in their preferred secondary school.
In an interview on PM Express on Monday night, the Education Ministry's spokesperson, Kwasi Kwarteng, revealed that they had prior knowledge of the bribery a year before and had ordered investigations into the matter, but failed to publish recommendations of the findings.
However, Mr Notsu-Kotoe said although the Committee was aware of the rumour of bribery which they had told the Minister to look into, they knew nothing about the recommendations from the investigation.
“Last year, it had come to the attention of the Education Committee of Parliament, and the chairman of the committee went to meet the Minister of Education to inform him of the misgivings of members of Parliament and the public that money was being extorted from parents before changes were done and it was there that he told us that the Director-General had written to the state security agency for investigations to be conducted,” he said.
The ranking member added that Dr Adutwum, “gave us the assurance that the security agency was going to investigate that he believes there is nothing of that nature so that is where we ended it.
“For the internal committee that they set up at the Ministry we were not aware, I also heard for the first time yesterday during PM express,” he added.
Latest Stories
-
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
14 minutes -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
1 hour -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
2 hours -
The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
2 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
2 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
2 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
3 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
3 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
3 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
3 hours -
NDC parliamentary leadership reshuffle secured 2024 election victory – Asiedua Nketiah
5 hours -
Agbodza visits Adaklu-Helekpe mudslide victims, warns of more danger around mountain
5 hours -
TTAG urge government’s urgent action on recruitment and postings
5 hours -
World Vision Ghana brings joy to Wa West children with mass birthday celebration
5 hours -
Health Ministry announces mop-up exercise for validation and posting of health professionals
5 hours