Audio By Carbonatix
The Supreme Court judges will today determine whether the First Respondent, Electoral Commission (EC) Chair mounts the witness box for cross-examination in the ongoing election petition.
Lead counsel for the Commission, Justin Amenuvor on Monday told the apex court that they no longer intend to present any witness, hence Jean Mensa would not be up for cross-examination.
According to him, the EC is satisfied with proceedings so far, thereby asking the court to make a determination on the petition before it.
Citing Order 36 Rule 43 and C.I. 87 rule 3 (e) 5, lead counsel for the EC, Justin Amenuvor presented his submission to the seven-member panel of judges.
Also, lead counsel for the Second Respondent, President Akufo-Addo stated that the counsel would not present any witness.
However, in a swift moment lead counsel for the petitioner, Tsatsu Tsikata rose to object the requests presented to the apex court.
He stated that the decision is a deliberate one by Mrs Mensa to avoid cross examination which will expose her inept execution of the December 7 election.
Mr Tsikata who also cited Order 36 Rule 43 and CI 87 rule 3 (e) five prayed the court to deny the request by the counsel for the First Respondent.
The judicial panel told the counsels to present their cases on Tuesday to enable them take a decision as to whether the EC Chair would be made to mount the witness box.
So far, three witnesses for the petitioner; Asiedu Nketia, Kpessa Whyte and Rojo Mettle-Nunoo have been cross-examined.
Meanwhile, Mr Tsikata has informed the court that the petitioner has presented all evidence for the election petition trial, therefore, has closed his case.
Latest Stories
-
Volta Regional Minister assures PAC of stricter supervision of government projects
13 minutes -
Can Parliament enforce its own laws?
45 minutes -
ECG announces major transformer upgrade at Batsonaa – see the affected areas
46 minutes -
Ghanaian released after 77 days in Burkinabe detention
54 minutes -
Football Noise, Economic Silence
55 minutes -
Replacing Haruna and Muntaka in Parliament was strategic for Election 2024 – Asiedu Nketia, Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu explain the plot
1 hour -
Security service recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
1 hour -
Ghana’s tech prodigies set for Geneva after triumphant ‘Robotics for Good’ national qualifiers
1 hour -
World Bank document shows 27 countries seeking to ensure access to crisis funds
1 hour -
Mahama says Ghana’s IMF programme was close to derailment before he took over
2 hours -
Uganda confirms 3 new Ebola cases, bringing total to 5
2 hours -
Senegal president sacks PM Sonko, dissolves government after months of friction
2 hours -
Security recruitment medical results to be released next week – Interior Minister
2 hours -
Mahama rules out IMF ‘kenkey and waakye parties’, takes swipe at erstwhile Akufo-Addo gov’t
2 hours -
Mahama says Ghana’s economy still needs major reforms despite IMF progress
2 hours