Birim Central Municipal Nutrition Officer at the Municipal Health Directorate, Ebenezer Gyasi, has recommended to parents to add micronutrient powder to babies’ food to promote their optimal growth.
He said micronutrient powder contained zinc, iron and vitamin A and was in an encapsulated form that should be sprinkled over regular meals once a day.
He said it enhanced food with micronutrients, but not interfering with the taste, adding, “It is given to babies between the ages of six months and 23 months old.”
Mr Gyasi was speaking in an interview with the Ghana News Agency at the climax of this year’s Child Health Promotion Week commemoration at Akim Aboabo on the theme: “Sustaining Child Health Service in the midst of Covid-19 pandemic.”
Mr Gyasi said parents could get micronutrient powder at health facilities across the country while education on its benefits and usage were given by nurses.
The Ghana Health Service with support from United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF) is implementing the Micro Nutrients Powder for children.
Municipal Assistant Nutrition Officer, Mr Gabriel Gaisie, added that nutrients’ deficiencies such as iron, folic acid and zinc caused anemia leading to severe consequences on the mental, physical and social development of children.
He urged parents having children between the ages of six months and five years old to take their wards to health facilities for vitamin ‘A’ supplementation which boosted the immune system.
At the climax of the week celebration, Mr Eric Ofori, an official from the Birth and Death Registry in the Birim Central Municipality, called on parents to register their children at birth, stressing, it was a baseline to capture the data of children.
Ms Theresah Nyamekye, Municipal Health Promotion Officer called on parents to comply with the Covid-19 safety protocols on social distancing, wearing of nose masks and frequent handwashing with soap under running water.
- Construction work by manufacturing company causing artificial earthquakes in Bortianor – Residents
- Shatta Wale showers dollars on Nana Ama Mcbrown
- Auditor General indicts former Nhyieso MP over failure to recover ¢500k of Assembly’s Common Fund
- Defence and Finance Ministers to answer questions in Parliament over Presidency’s hiring of private jet for foreign travels
- ‘I miss living life with you’ – T. B. Joshua’s wife marks his 58th birthday
- One of 2 robbers who attacked and robbed motorist on Fiesta Royale-GIMPA stretch arrested
- TUTAG to proceed with strike action despite NLC order
- #FixTheCountry: Leave social media, come and plant trees – Oti Regional Minister to campaigners
- GPL wrap: Hearts extend lead at top, King Faisal climb out of relegation zone
- I was slapped, burnt after Nkrumah was overthrown – Former lady-in-waiting to Fathia Nkrumah
Effutu paramount chief cautions trespassers against reserved lands
Euros On MGL: Poland v Slovakia betting preview
Euros On MGL: Scotland v Czech Republic betting preview
Ghana set to produce its own vaccine – Presidential Advisor on Health
Livestream: Day 9 – Appointments Committee vets Thomas Mbamba, Abdulai Abanga and 2 others
We are working with Political authorities to get Hudson-Odoi- GFA president
Nii Marmah Boye: Security at GIMPA; What the school must do
Auditor General indicts KMA over using Assembly’s Common Fund to pay judgment debt
Use digital platforms to reduce paper usage – Ursula
FixTheCountry case adjourned over late filing of documents
Playback: Foreign Minister to address the nation on Ghana’s election to UN’s Security Council, 59th ECOWAS meeting
Asantehene commends board and management of ADB for refocusing on its core mandate
GRA optimistic of addressing automation tax payment challenges by July
Euro 2020: Heart doctor’s Twitter thread on Christian Eriksen collapse is eye-opening
Sir John’s funeral: Government begins monitoring persons who participated – Nsiah Asare