Mother of award-winning singer Efya, Nana Adwoa Awindoor, has described as sad the seeming persistent criticism of her daughter.
The host of the long-running ‘Greetings from Abroad’ show, is worried that Efya is relentlessly criticised and stories are deliberately concocted to defame the talented singer.
The Development Queen of Afigya-Kwabe District told Edem Knight Tay on the Home Affairs Show on Saturday that she does not want any of the negative comments to get to her daughter.
Efya has been in the news for allegedly dealing in drugs, which she has constantly denied. Also, the singer's bear-it-all fashion sense has also come under scrutiny.
But her mother said, "I don't want such comments to disturb her ability to explore and grow in whatever she has chosen to do."
"I rather look at whatever is being said positively as a mother and guide her accordingly...we seem to be so excited about things when they are foreign but the moment it is local we all go gaga about it," she added.
According to her, artistes abroad do all sorts of crazy things and live all kinds of lifestyles yet they are adored the world over as well as in Ghana for what they do and who they are.
"I am not saying I will allow her to walk around naked...my daughter knows the kind of upbringing she had and I sit her down to talk to her.
"I tell her 'let people appreciate your voice and other ability than to allow them to condemn you because of your outlook," Nana Awindor said.
Nana Adwoa Awindor believes her daughter deserves to be celebrated rather than condemned.
Watch the video:
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Married life with Annica has been amazing - Okyeame Kwame
- Video: Yvonne Okoro reveals recording sex tape with ex-boyfriend
- I admire Abedi Pele so much – Adina
- Video: Adekunle Gold, Simi release new song to celebrate their wedding
- Daddy Lumba, Kojo Antwi comparison impossible - Okyeame Kwame
- Photos: Ataa Mensah of 'Showcase in Ga' dies at 91
- Video/Photos: Daughters of Glorious Jesus pay courtesy call to Multimedia Group
- Video: I've forgiven my parents for throwing me away when I was born – Don Little
- I'm not bothered by the young ones using my songs - Kojo Antwi
- Video: Women who earn more than their partners abuse them – D Cryme
- Video: Creative Arts has been neglected - Sidney
- Video: I’ll be tagged greedy if I disclose how much I invested with Menzgold – Lil Win
- Celine Dion, Chance pull tracks with R. Kelly
- Rihanna takes father to court in trademark dispute
- #10YearChallenge: Multimedia staffs chime in