In election years, musicians become tools to project a political agenda through songs.
In 2016, secular musician Shatta Wale was on top as two of his songs were used by both the New Patriotic Party (NPP) and the National Democratic Congress (NDC) to champion their political agendas.
One of the musicians, whose name cannot escape the list, is veteran highlife musician Daddy Lumba. He composed songs for then-candidate Nana Addo Dankwa Akufo-Addo in 2008, 2012 and 2016.
Gospel musician, Evangelist Diana Asamoah has been tagged an NPP activist for allowing the NPP to use her songs by former President John Agyekum Kufuor when he was campaigning for the presidency.
There were rumours that she was paid huge sums of money for playing her part in the campaign.
Speaking on Adom FM’s Work and Happiness show with host OPD, Mrs Asamoah rubbished such speculations, explaining that she received no money from the NPP.
According to her, she is not well placed to do politics because she is used to the music craft.
“NPP never paid me for my ‘Ma Bo Wo Din Na Mafr3 Wo’ song. It was a business strategy that only helped them win power. People think I was paid but I never took a penny,” she revealed.
The gospel singer regretted that “people don’t push the word of God like negative stories.”
Mrs Asamoah said she wouldn’t mind doing a song for a political party if only she is directed by God to do it.
“I don’t walk in vain. When God tells me to do a song for a party, I will do it for them.”
Watch the video below for more:
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Photos: Kinaata, Mama Zimbi, Capt. Smart, others wow fans as models
- Beyoncé, Meghan Markle finally meet at 'The Lion King' premiere
- Miss Ghana winners trend after being labelled "ugly"
- Why Yvonne Nelson won’t take up political office
- Video: Afia Pokua’s take on girls patronising ‘Mama Gee’s’ 'sexual enhancers'
- Being a first-time mum slowed me down – Yvonne Nelson
- ‘Strika' makes formal complaint against 'duping' handlers
- Support Patapaa he is talented – Kofi Kinaata
- Adom Fm Music Chart (Week 27): DopeNation tops chart with ‘Zanku’
- Video: Strika cries foul, accuses handlers of duping him
- If you are struggling in life, Stonebwoy has a song for you - Tuffseed
- Language barrier restricts my rap – Kofi Kinaata
- Davido, Chris Brown to collaborate on new song
- R. Kelly ‘arrested on federal sex charges,
- Tourism Authority partners The Multimedia Group for Miss Heritage Global