Dancehall artiste Shatta Wale and Afrobeat singer Fancy Gadam won awards at the 2019 edition of the International Reggae and World Music Awards (IRAWMA).
The Awards, which was held at Pegasus Hotel Kingston, Jamaica on Saturday, May 11, honoured reggae and world music artistes.
On the night, Shatta Wale’s Gringo was adjudged ‘Best Music Video’ while he was adjudged Afro Beats Artist of the Year.
Tamale-based act Fancy Gadam won ‘Most Promising Entertainer’ at the awards.
“The good news is we just won an award last night in Jamaica at the 2019 IRAWMA AWARDS...In fact, am speechless but I will have to thank God for this great honour and the Shatta movement empire for voting...Let’s celebrate this award people ..it’s a worldwide thing !!!” Shatta Wale said in a tweet acknowledging his win.
He added that “Thanks to the whole board of IRAWMA, my management team in the US boogie down nima (Hashim) ,my great manager in jamaica @kims_media_house ,my baddest producers @damagemusiq @ygfrecords @shabdonrecords my Gaza family @shawn_storm_official @vybzkartel and all my fans worldwide.”
Fancy Gadam, also in a tweet said, “Thank you fam for this. This is great for us all @IRAWMAAwards.”
The annual IRAWMA was established in 1982 and it acknowledges and honours the accomplishments and contributions of reggae and world music artists.
The Awards also honours songwriters, performers, promoters and musicians.
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- BET Int celebrates Sarkodie’s Artiste of the Decade victory
- VGMA brawl: There is silver lining in the fracas – Francis Doku
- VGMA@20 brawl: Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale granted bail
- We need to change narrative – Sarkodie speaks on support for industry
- VGMA@20: Celebrities react to Shatta Wale-Stonebwoy brawl
- Gov't to meet Shatta, Stonebwoy over feud – Tourism Minister
- Charterhouse disappointed after giving Shatta Wale a chance – CEO
- Creative Arts Ministry 'failed' to stop Shatta Wale Stonebwoy brawl - Minister
- VGMA@20: Stonebwoy not emotionally balanced to own gun - Sefa Kayi
- VGMA@20: MUSIGA condemns 'shameful behaviour' of Shata Wale, Stonebwoy
- VGMA@20 clash: Stonebwoy may be biggest loser – Ameyaw Debrah
- Stonebwoy, Shatta Wale have dented dancehall culture- Ambassador
- A nominee breached security protocol – Charterhouse explains VGMA brawl
- 'We got lucky this time' – Lydia Forson on VGMA brawl
- Stonebwoy explains why he pulled a gun on stage