Vice President Dr Mahamudu Bawumia has accentuated the New Patriotic Party (NPP)’s campaign promise to build large seating event theatres in all regions of the country.
As Chairman of the Economic Management Committee (EMT), the Vice President speaking at a Town Hall Meeting at the College of Surgeons and Physicians in Accra revealed that government is on course to fulfil this promise.
He said in 2018, “We’ve provided support to the creative arts council and capacity building. We’ve also built the eastern regional theatre work has been completed and work is ongoing on the theatre in Kumasi. We want to do a theatre in every region.”
Dr Bawumia’s comments are coming after President Nana Akufo-Addo reiterated in his 2019 State of the Nation Address stated that plans are far advanced for the construction of a theatre for the Ashanti regional capital, Kumasi.
The President also mentioned that a theatre for the Eastern region was almost completed.
The New Patriotic Party (NPP) in its manifesto for the tourism and creative arts sector ahead of the 2016 elections, promised to build theatres in the remaining nine regions of the country.
The manifesto said, “Pursue the construction of modern large seating theatres in every regional capital except Accra, beginning with Takoradi, Tamale and Kumasi, as well as setting up an additional copyright office in Tamale to cater for the northern sector in addition to the existing ones in Accra and Kumasi.”
Have your say
More Entertainment Headlines
- Panafest International Expo launched in UK
- Too many music talents hypnotised by Afrobeat popularity - David Bolton bemoans
- Video: My music was getting bigger – Ohemaa Mercy explains why she quit teaching
- Video: Funny Face claims police assault during movie shoot
- Cardi B rape accusations resurfaces
- Regent University student wins 2019 edition of 'Live Inside Win the Ride'
- Spanish hosts dance to highlife songs by Kyekyeku & Ghanalogue band
- R. Kelly in solitary over mortal fear of other inmates
- Ed Sheeran goes to numbers one, three, four on UK chart
- Ghana praised for supporting Vis-à-vis Festival
- English language did trick for ‘Be Lifted’ penetrating Africa - MOG
- Show evidence of new factories – John Dumelo charges gov’t
- Video: I’d love to settle in Ghana after retirement- Tim Godfrey
- Ark band performs live on Joy FM’s Cosmopolitan Mix
- Creative Arts Council, media pay courtesy call on Ghana Embassy in Spain