Audio By Carbonatix
The Association of Rural Banks has also asked government to exempt them from the ongoing domestic debt exchange programme.
According to them, they have over 40% of their investments in government bonds.
As a result of this, adding them debt exchange programme would have a negative impact on their operations.
In a letter addressed to the Finance Minister, Ken Ofori-Atta, the association disclosed it still has over ¢460 million locked up with various fund management companies.
This according to them, is due to the financial sector clean-up done in 2017.
“The RCBs still have a significant proportion of their funds amounting to ¢460 million locked up with various fund management companies after the completion of the financial sector reforms.
All efforts to get the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and other regulators to intervene to get the funds released to RCBs have so far not yielded any positive results.
“The RCBs have almost 40 per cent of their total assets in government bonds amounting to ¢753 million and this is considered as very significant.
Any haircut or unilateral rescheduling of coupon payments would, therefore, significantly affect the operations of the rural banks. it will mostly affect their liquidity and solvency position especially when these banks are already reeling under the current precarious economic situation facing the country,” the portions of the letter said.
Government in a bid to rescue the economy and secure a deal with the International Monetary Fund (IMF), government has proposed that all bondholders will not receive any interest on their bonds for the 2023 financial year.
The payment of dividends, according to government is likely to begin next year, 2024 at a discounted rate of 5%.
In relation to this, bondholders who may want to transfer their bonds will not be able to get the full principal they initially invested as bonds.
This proposal, since its announcement, has been rejected by many bondholders who have expressed frustration about the development.
In their view, if the proposal is implemented, they will suffer a great deal of loss, with many of them stating that their investments may even become unprofitable.
Private legal practitioner, Martin Kpebu, who is an avowed critic of the policy has described the programme as a ‘weapon of mass destruction’.
Latest Stories
-
Ice baths, almond milk, meditation and a ‘house like a hospital’: The secrets of Salah’s success
37 minutes -
This Saturday on Prime Insight: GN Savings and Loans licence restoration and the Abronye bail debate
2 hours -
Putin vows retaliation after accusing Ukraine of hitting student dormitory
3 hours -
2026 ACI World Congress: In Accra, a quiet reframe of how emerging markets see themselves
3 hours -
No break-in, no theft at Ashaiman showroom – Hisense Ghana clarifies
3 hours -
This Saturday on Newsfile: Attack on free speech and return of GN Bank
3 hours -
Opinion: The evidence before High Court continues to expose weakness of the Republic’s case against Wontumi
3 hours -
Ebola risk raised to ‘very high’ in DR Congo
3 hours -
I recommended Haruna and Muntaka for ministerial roles — Asiedu Nketia
4 hours -
The Cost of Macroeconomic Stabilization: An Analysis of the Bank ofGhana’s 2025 Financial Deficit
4 hours -
Isaac Nlason elected SRC President of the Ghana School of Law
4 hours -
Haruna Iddrisu takes a subtle jibe at Asiedu Nketia’s ‘Thank You Tour’
4 hours -
GSA, PTB donate 50 calibrated weighing scales to Techiman traders on World Metrology Day
4 hours -
US says temporary visa holders should leave to apply for Green Cards
4 hours -
Asiedu Nketia pledges stronger welfare support for former NDC executives
5 hours