The Managing Director of Ghana Airport Company, Yaw Kwakwa, has revealed that works on the rehabilitation and expansion of the Sunyani Airport is expected to be completed by the end of the year.
He said 97 per cent of work was done, adding that the “contractor is just doing finishing touches on the runway and minor works on the apron.”
The rehabilitated airport, he added, could contain about 20 domestic aircraft at the minimum.
Mr Kwakwa said this when conducted Mr Yaw Afful, the Deputy Minister of Aviation, round to inspect the progress of work on the facility in Sunyani.
The Managing Director said he was impressed about work done so far, on the 1,520-metre runway, thermal building and the apron.
Speaking to Journalists at the newly constructed drop off area of the airport, Mr Kwakwa said security cameras were yet to be fixed at the thermal building.
On completion, he added the facility could only contain domestic airlines but regretted real estate developers had encroached on the airport lands in Sunyani.
That notwithstanding, Mr Kwakwa indicated the safety of residents around the airport area was guaranteed.
He emphasised the airport would open up and spur the socio-economic development of the Bono Region.
On his part, the Jaman South MP, Yaw Afful expressed satisfaction and commended President Akufo-Addo for the works on the facility.
The Sunyani Airport was officially closed down in 2016 due to the deplorable nature of the runway and auxiliary facilities.
- CCTV footage shows final moment of student-journalist who was killed in a hotel
- Armed robbers kill police officer, eyewitness and injure bullion van driver at James Town
- We’ll stop escorting your cash if you don’t acquire armoured bullion vans – IGP warns banks
- Nkrumah was playful, not a dictator – Former lady-in-waiting to Fathia Nkrumah
- Government to borrow ¢2.9bn in fresh funds between June and August 2021
- Bullion van attack at James Town: IGP directs CID to take over investigation
- GPL: Asante Kotoko beat Inter Allies in five-goal thriller
- Former dance champion, Alex Ofori, dead
- Bankers Association to hold emergency meeting over carting of currencies across country
- Tiwa is not my wife – Yaw Sarpong reacts to rumours
Families of 2020 election violence victims in Techiman to get 4-bedroom houses
Livestream: Appointments Committee vets Herbert Krapa, Mark Okraku Mantey and 2 others
Green Ghana Project: Stonebwoy, Dentaa join Royal Senchi to plant trees
Lawyer disputes voices on audio in treason trial
Live updates: Herbert Krapa, Okraku Mantey and 2 other Deputy Ministers-designate face Appointments Committee
Appointments Committee vets Mark Okraku Mantey, Herbert Krapa and 2 others today
Don’t be in haste to appoint interim management for TOR – Energy Minister cautioned
Apologise for false allegations or face lawsuit – Lawyers of Societe Generale Board Chairperson to PPP
Uncle Ebo Whyte: Unwritten rules men live by
Ghana drawn in Pool D for Billie Jean King Cup
Playback: Graphic Business/Stanbic Bank Breakfast meeting
KNUST resumes work as Senior Staff call off strike
Agriculture Minister petitioned to reform fertilizer subsidy scheme
Geodrill supports Achimota School science laboratory complex project
Stalled housing project at Akatsi South District Hospital worsening accommodation challenges for health workers