Audio By Carbonatix
A South African appeals court ruled on Tuesday that the family of former Zambian President Edgar Lungu should decide where he is buried, overturning a lower court's order that Zambia's government could repatriate Lungu's body for a state funeral.
Lungu, who led Zambia from 2015 to 2021, died in South Africa a year ago while undergoing medical treatment.
His body has remained in South Africa since, as his family and the Zambian government have wrangled over whether he should be buried at a site designated for Zambia's former presidents in the capital Lusaka, or privately in South Africa as his family prefers.
Lungu and his successor, current President Hakainde Hichilema, were longtime political rivals, and his family says Lungu would not have wanted Hichilema present at his funeral.
Zambia's Attorney General Mulilo Kabesha told Reuters the government respected the South African court's decision, though it did not agree with the majority judgment.
"We will not exercise our right to appeal to the Constitutional Court. We will not take the matter any further," Kabesha said.
In its judgment on Tuesday, South Africa's Supreme Court of Appeal said the Zambian government had failed to show it had a legal right under South African law to override the family's wishes on where and how Lungu should be buried.
It also rejected Zambia's argument that a binding agreement had been reached with the family over the funeral, saying that the evidence pointed to ongoing negotiations rather than a final deal.
South Africa's government has said it has an obligation to respect the wishes of Lungu's family, but it also said it felt a state burial in Zambia would be the most fitting outcome for the former leader.
Lungu drove Zambia into deep debt during his roughly six years in power. The country defaulted on its international debt in 2020, precipitating his election loss.
Hichilema will seek re-election for a second five-year term at an election in August.
Latest Stories
-
Adamus welcomes 12-month roadmap to revive mine, restore investor confidence
56 minutes -
T-bills: Government records 162% oversubscription, interest rates slump
59 minutes -
UPSA moves to turn student research into market-ready solutions
60 minutes -
Presby SHS, Suhum honour late coordinator with dominant One-Eighth qualification
2 hours -
NDC Volta team tracks development projects across four districts
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: St. Monica’s SHS snatch one-eighth ticket from Amenfiman SHS in dramatic showdown
2 hours -
Why celebrate $2.62bn FDI while losing $1.7bn under the Domestic Gold Programme? IERPP asks
2 hours -
COKA urges NPP executives to return to party’s core values ahead of 2028
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Nsutaman stages comeback against Serwaa Nyarko Girls, Hope College to book One-Eighth spot
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Fafraha Community SHS defy odds to secure one-eighth spot
2 hours -
Tolon Naa dies days after Yaa Naa, plunging Dagbon into further mourning
2 hours -
CLOGSAG’s Bampoe Addo was a formidable voice for workers – FWSC eulogises
3 hours -
Galamsey destroys over 100 acres of farmland at Akyem Atobriso
3 hours -
GRIDCo completes tower replacement on Tema-Achimota transmission line
3 hours -
Republic Bank-JoyNews Habitat Fair Mini Clinic ends on a high note at Achimota Retail Centre
3 hours