Audio By Carbonatix
Lawyer for the National Democratic Congress (NDC) parliamentary candidate in the Fanteakwa North constituency, Isaac Mintah Larbi has rejected the re-declaration of the constituency election which declared the New Patriotic Party parliamentary candidate, Kwame Appiah Kodua as the winner, describing it as a joke.
According to him, the decision by the Electoral Commission to re-declare the NPP candidate as the MP-elect is not grounded in law and amounts to abuse of the electoral process.
“They [EC] have not said they have overturned it [earlier declaration]. All they have done is what we call duplicitous. They've just duplicated the declaration, which has already happened. But in this instance, all they have done is that they've done it wrongly and not in accordance with law,” he said.
Isaac Mintah Larbi reacting to today's declaration of Kwame Appiah Kodua as the parliamentary candidate-elect, said the EC erred in all the processes to embark on another declaration outside the jurisdiction.
“This thing is a joke, and I don't know if they did this purposely to please their masses or their followers. It won't go anywhere. You know, you can't have two declarations. The first declaration has been made. Once that is done, if anybody is equipped, the remedy available is for the person to go to court, but not to go and use some powers that be that you think you have, and use it to go and have another declaration that is wrong.
“This a complete abuse of the process. And even for the Electoral Commission to allow this to happen means that they themselves don't respect their own laws, and they should not allow this to happen.
“Ghanaians have rejected the NPP and this kind of EC that we have. And so once they have lost the elections, they should understand that we do not tolerate this kind of attitude anymore. We will not tolerate it. The person we know is Haruna Apaw-Wiredu, he is the MP-elect for Fanteakwa North and is the one who is going to Parliament. If you don't understand, go to court. That is the option on the table.
Today's declaration follows Tuesday's declaration of the NDC candidate, Haruna Apaw-Wiredu by the returning officer, Zacharia Adams in Begoro.
The Electoral Commission today moved the collation of disputed results in some constituencies in the Eastern region to the Police training school in Tesano in Accra to avoid the chaotic scenes witnessed previously.
According to the lawyer who is also the Director of Legal Affairs for the NDC in the Eastern region, the conduct of the EC amounts to contempt of court.
He explained that he's already filed and served an injunction application at the Koforidua High Court to stop the EC from embarking on today's exercise.
Latest Stories
-
Bawumia charges NPP executives to rebuild party for 2028 victory
9 seconds -
Unite the region and deliver victory in 2028 – Dr. Bawumia to new Greater Accra NPP executives
17 seconds -
Ukrainian strikes kill six in Russia, acting governor says
27 seconds -
The goal is to win 2028 polls – Bawumia
49 seconds -
GoldBod secures 30% of large-scale gold output for Ghana’s strategic reserves
1 minute -
FDA warns against unauthorised chemicals for ripening plantain
2 minutes -
‘If you sell gold at a loss, you’re not a good trader’ – Afenyo-Markin jabs Sammy Gyamfi
6 minutes -
Dr. Bawumia meets new Greater Accra NPP executives; charges them to bring all talents on board
9 minutes -
Before the Next Jason: When seniority becomes a weapon against young academics
22 minutes -
For President Mahama, every mother must live. What about you?
31 minutes -
OMCs commence fuel price reviews; Star Oil sells petrol at GH¢14.97, diesel kept at GH¢16.97
1 hour -
Residents of Brekusu-Kwabenya-Kitase protest over deplorable roads
1 hour -
Genser Energy secures 456m euros to accelerate next phase of growth across West Africa
1 hour -
COKA visits Kokofu after Ashanti NPP win, calls for unity ahead of 2028
1 hour -
Bono East crowns Kintampo SHS, Gyarko Community Day SHS for national public speaking finals
2 hours