New Juaben South Municipal Chief Executive (MCE), Mr. Isaac Apau-Gyasi, has urged farmers to use electronic communication to engage Agriculture Extension Agents.
The advice comes amid the Covid-19 pandemic, especially with the emergence of a new variant, Omicron virus.
Electronic agriculture (E-agriculture) focuses on the enhancement of agricultural and rural development through improved information and communication process.
More specifically, electronic agriculture involves the conceptualization, design, development, evaluation, and adaptation of innovative ways to use information and communication technologies.
Speaking in an interview with the Ghana News Agency, Mr Apau-Gyasi said farmers in the Municipality have shown understanding of the importance of using electronic platforms to connect with agriculture officials in their farming activities.
This, he said has resulted in an increase in the number of farmers who use the platform this year as compared to last year.
In 2020, he said about 6,210 farmers used the platform but the figure jumped to about 7,850 farmers in 2021.
Aside from the Electronic-Agriculture intervention, he said the Planting for Export and Rural Development (PERD) Initiative has improved the livelihood of people in the area.
The initiative brought about the distribution of 15,000 palm tree seedlings to over 150 farmers as well as 100 pigs.
He tasked the beneficiaries to go by good farming practices so that, the proceeds could be extended to those who did not benefit from it this year.
Mr. Michael Okyere Baafi, Member of Parliament for New Juaben South Constituency, who is also the Deputy Minister of Trade and Industry said the government introduced the One District One Factory (1D1F) Initiative to promote export of processed local goods.
He said farmers should involve themselves in processing raw food materials to achieve the 1D1F objective. 1D1F Initiative was introduced by the government in 2018 to change the nature of Ghana’s economy from one of dependency on import to the export of raw material, focusing on manufacturing, value addition, and export of processed foods.
During the Farmers’ Day celebration, the New Juaben South Municipal Assembly awarded many farmers with items and certificates with the institutions that sponsored the event also being awarded.
- Asking Domelevo to proceed on leave unconstitutional – Supreme Court
- Prof Gyampo slams Akufo-Addo over presidency’s request for CVs of senior EC officials
- Supreme Court strikes out law that allowed government to impose restrictions during Covid-19 pandemic
- Prof. Ama Ata Aidoo passes on aged 81
- Essipong: The Decaying Sports Stadium
- Petrol, diesel prices to stay same; LPG to go down 5% – IES
- Abedi Pele watches Jordan Ayew face off with Andre Ayew at Selhurst Park
- Fire burns shops at Madina-Ritz junction again
- National Cathedral: We need $100m to import steel for work to proceed – Dr Opoku Mensah
- Ama Ata Aidoo’s iconic 1987 interview that shook the world
- Supreme Court ruling comes as a very big birthday present to me – Domelevo
- Supreme Court verdict sets the rule clear going forward – Daniel Domelevo
- I have no regret serving as Auditor-General – Yao Domelevo
- It’s better late than never – Domelevo rejoices over Supreme Court ruling against forced leave
- EC sets June 27 for Assin North by-election
- 2023 AfroSport Summit: LaLiga joins conference for second straight year
- I’m sad presidency is at the forefront of doing unconstitutional things – Domelevo on Supreme Court ruling
- Tighten rules of Public Financial Management Act to cut budget deficit – Terkper
- Adanwomasehene inaugurates 3-unit classroom block for Adanwomase R/C Primary
- Ghana to fully digitize GMet weather observation system
- Climate Change Talks: Loss and Damage Fund and GST take centre stage as AGN strategises for Bonn SB58
- Simon Wilberforce Kwami Tsadidey
- WAFU B Women’s U20 Cup: Ghana seal final spot with comeback win over Burkina Faso
- ATL is official fabric sponsor at Kumasi Fashion Week 2023
- PFAG provides clarity on Yussif Chibsah’s ‘King Faisal player bribe comments’