China will host the first edition of the expanded Fifa Club World Cup in 2021, with Fifa president Gianni Infantino describing it as “the first real and true [Club] World Cup”.
The competition, which currently features seven teams, will be expanded to 24 teams from June 2021.
Top European clubs have previously said they will boycott the tournament.
“The new [tournament] will be a competition anyone who loves football is looking forward to,” Infantino said.
Qatar will stage the final two editions of the seven-team tournament. The 2019 competition begins on 11 December, with Liverpool entering at the semi-final stage a week later.
In March, the European Club Association (ECA) expressed concern about expanding the tournament.
ECA board members, including Manchester United’s executive vice-chairman Ed Woodward, signed a letter saying they were “firmly against any potential approval of a revised CWC”, adding that no ECA clubs would take part.
Speaking at a Fifa council meeting in Shanghai, Infantino said the decision to hold the tournament in China was “historic” and would further develop the club game in Asia.
“It is the first real and true World Cup where the best clubs will compete,” the Swiss-Italian said.
- 18-year-old woman dies during sex on wedding night
- Ghana ranked 2nd most peaceful country in Africa
- Until we empower Ghanaians legally, the law will serve the privileged – Prof. Atuguba
- Karela’s CAM Park banned indefinitely
- NDC demands CJ withdraws petition against Ayine at General Legal Council
- There appears to be selective justice in Ghana – Law student
- Ghana’s laws do not reflect reality – UG Law student
- 2021 Census: More than 8 million structures listed
- Full text: Asiedu Nketia’s speech on Chief Justice’s complaint against Dr Ayine at General Legal Council
- Playback: The Probe dissects 2021 Population and Housing Census
Ghana lucky to have you as president in Covid-19 era – Mamprusi Elders to Akufo-Addo
We’re sorry for violence at Anyinase – Karela supporters’ head
Man City make £100m bid for Tottenham striker Harry Kane
United States Africa Command commends Ghana for promoting sub-regional security
Revisit Community Policing policy- Bombande tells Police administration
So far, so good; Bawku appreciates your policies – Bawku Naba to Akufo-Addo
‘Only Heaven has no crimes’ comment was unnecessary – Security Analyst to IGP
Mastercard Foundation to deploy $1.3bn in partnership with Africa CDC to save lives and livelihoods
Vodafone Ghana Foundation marks World Sickle Cell Day with tree planting exercise
Increased demand paves way for expansion of Africa’s sugar industry
Bullion van attack: Arrest of 215 criminals in a swoop raises questions – Prof Aning
I think I would be a happier person if I never had kids
Agriculture Minister elected Chairman Of Ghana-Cote d’Ivoire Cocoa Initiative
Bolt celebrates Father’s Day by acknowledging their efforts
Alan Kyerematen, Togbe Afede XIV, Sefa-Kayi, Stonebwoy and others honoured at maiden Ghana Father’s Day Award