Audio By Carbonatix
An Italian citizen who works in Nigeria and just returned from Milan, Italy on Wednesday has tested positive for the dread coronavirus.
The Virology Laboratory of the Lagos University Teaching Hospital, part of the Laboratory Network of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed this according to the Nigerian Health Minister, Dr E. Osagie Ehanire.
The Italian (whose name has been withheld) is said to be “clinically stable, with no serious symptoms, and is being managed at the Infectious Disease Hospital in Yaba, Lagos.”
Several European countries have announced their first coronavirus cases, all apparently linked to the growing outbreak in Italy.
Austria, Croatia, Greece and Switzerland said the cases involved people who had been to Italy, as did Algeria in North Africa, reports the BBC.
Cases have emerged for the first time in countries such as Austria following the Italian outbreak
The first positive virus test has been recorded in Latin America - a Brazilian resident just returned from Italy.
Italy has in recent days become Europe's worst-affected country.
Authorities have confirmed more than 300 cases and 12 deaths there, the most recent a 70-year-old resident of Lombardy who died after being taken to intensive care in Parma. The country has also seen four children infected.
Recording its first case, Nigeria’s Health Minister said the return of the Italian worker return to Africa’s populous country from his hometown on February 25.
“The Government of Nigeria, through the Federal Ministry of Health has been strengthening measures to ensure an outbreak in Nigeria is controlled and contained quickly,” Dr Ehanire said.
He added, “The multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has immediately activated its National Emergency Operations Centre and will work closely with Lagos State Health authorities to respond to this case and implement firm control measures.”
Below is a statement from the Nigerian Health Ministry.
Cases have emerged for the first time in countries such as Austria following the Italian outbreak
The first positive virus test has been recorded in Latin America - a Brazilian resident just returned from Italy.
Italy has in recent days become Europe's worst-affected country.
Authorities have confirmed more than 300 cases and 12 deaths there, the most recent a 70-year-old resident of Lombardy who died after being taken to intensive care in Parma. The country has also seen four children infected.
Recording its first case, Nigeria’s Health Minister said the return of the Italian worker return to Africa’s populous country from his hometown on February 25.
“The Government of Nigeria, through the Federal Ministry of Health has been strengthening measures to ensure an outbreak in Nigeria is controlled and contained quickly,” Dr Ehanire said.
He added, “The multi-sectoral Coronavirus Preparedness Group led by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has immediately activated its National Emergency Operations Centre and will work closely with Lagos State Health authorities to respond to this case and implement firm control measures.”
Below is a statement from the Nigerian Health Ministry.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
DISCLAIMER: The Views, Comments, Opinions, Contributions and Statements made by Readers and Contributors on this platform do not necessarily represent the views or policy of Multimedia Group Limited.
Latest Stories
-
Women in Russian man videos scandal not cheap – Issifu Ali
3 minutes -
Cedi safe amid digital asset growth – BoG
11 minutes -
Photos: EPA busts 14 containers of illegal mining machines at Tema Port
17 minutes -
Harmonious Chorale to represent Africa in Poland and Sweden as it kicks off 20th-anniversary celebrations
18 minutes -
We can’t wait forever for AfCFTA – AGI demands alternative regional trade access
21 minutes -
The Drama of Cocoa politics: When farmers become puppets
21 minutes -
CSIR-BRRI advocates use of local materials in production to reduce cement prices
23 minutes -
Three miners killed in rock collapse at Gbane
46 minutes -
Awudome, Osu cemeteries not full — Managers
47 minutes -
Africa’s grand stage of honour: Why Ghana hosts POTY 2026
54 minutes -
Hillary Clinton accuses Trump administration of a ‘cover-up’ over its handling of Epstein documents
1 hour -
Project C.U.R.E begins 10-day assessment to support Ghana Medical Trust Fund’s NCD fight
1 hour -
Government assures public of stable ‘fugu’ prices amid Wednesday-wearing policy
1 hour -
Ghana on track for full-scale tomato production by year-end – Deputy Agric Minister
1 hour -
Danny Addo to host Undignified 1.0 event and album launch
1 hour
