Ghana’s former Interior Minister, Prosper Bani, is part of a nine-member Commonwealth Election Observer Mission mandated to monitor the presidential elections in The Gambia in December.
“We recognise the significance of this presidential election to the people of The Gambia and the historical context in which this contest is taking place.”
“We also recognise the particular challenges posed by the ongoing pandemic – both in terms of campaigning and election administration,” Mr Bani wrote in a statement released on behalf of the observer group.
The statement added: “Our mandate, as set out in the Commonwealth’s ‘Revised Guidelines’ for election observation, is to observe and evaluate the pre-election environment, polling day activities and the post-election period. We will consider whether conditions exist for a credible, transparent and inclusive election.”
The election is scheduled for December 4, 2021.
The delegation is headed by former Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo.
As part of its pre-election duties, the group will meet with various stakeholders, including political party heads, state security officials, civil society groups, citizen observer and monitor groups, and the media.
It is also required to deploy observers in small groups to each of the country’s six regions to observe electoral preparations and meet with stakeholders in their respective areas two days before the election.
On election day, the group will observe the opening, voting, closing, counting and results from management processes.
The interim statement of its preliminary findings will be issued on December 6, 2021, and the group is scheduled to leave Gambia by December 10.
Below are the names of the nine members of the Commonwealth Observer Group:
• Olusegun Obasanjo, Former President of Nigeria (Chairperson)
• Prosper Bani, Former Minister of Interior, Ghana
• Martha Karua, Former Minister of Justice, Kenya
• Robert Phiri, Executive Director, Public Affairs Commission, Malawi
• Hendrick Gappy, Former Chairperson, Electoral Commission, Seychelles
• Shyamala Gomez, Executive Director, Centre for Equality and Justice, Sri Lanka
• Candia Dames, Executive Editor of the Nassau Guardian, The Bahamas
• Crispin Kaheru, Commissioner, Uganda Human Rights Commission
• Musa Mwenye, SC Former Attorney General, Zambia
- Why Dede Ayew is trending on Twitter
- Majority describes Bagbin’s frequent absence as worrying
- E-levy is less than 2%; UK pays 10% and we go there and seek loans from them – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful
- Asamoah Gyan reported me to Kufuor and I’ve never been happy with him to date – K. T. Hammond
- I held outdoor crusades for 5k people at age 5 in Nigeria – Sam George
- Last time I changed my sponge was 12 years ago – Man tells JoyNews
- I spent 50% of my 8-year savings in 2 years – Family man recounts how he survived Covid-19
- I withdrew my SSNIT funds to start a business but Covid-19 didn’t let me – Man recounts
- Market queens in Kumasi opt to pay nomination fee for Alan Kyerematen
- If ‘Talk Tax’ worked, E-Levy won’t fail – Ursula Owusu-Ekuful
Burkina Faso coup: New leader Damiba gives first speech
DPO Group partners with Mastercard to help businesses accept digital payments
Elon Musk offered a 19-year-old $5k to take down a Twitter account that tracks his private jet
Nicki Minaj and Kenneth Petty hit with lawsuit for alleged fight with Head of Security
Electrochem Ghana Limited and Ada West District Assembly commit to strengthening ties
Trader burnt to death in Sunyani
There’ll be an economic disaster if E-levy fails to go through – Ken Ofori-Atta
Okwawu United announce new management members
Ayawaso Central Assembly steps up ‘Operation Clean Your Frontage’ sensitisation campaign
Apeatse explosion: Negligence, regulation lapses and institutional failures caused incident – Expert
Mary J. Blige says she had to pay herself ‘the highest compliments’ in order to get her confidence back
Chris Brown sued for $20m Over alleged rape
Playback: MacDan speaks about the private jet terminal at KIA
Rihanna went pantless on a date with A$AP Rocky
GPL Week 15 Preview: Hearts play King Faisal, Olympics face Kotoko