Marcus Rashford has raised concerns about the supply of food parcels to children on free school meals in England while schools are in lockdown.
The footballer had shared images of what appeared to be the parcels, saying they were “just not good enough”.
It prompted Downing Street to stress the food in these parcels should be healthy. The children’s minister is investigating “urgently”.
Marcus Rashford meets with food parcel provider after outcry over free school meals packageshttps://t.co/paKHJKSHKV— BBC Politics (@BBCPolitics) January 12, 2021
Rashford said “we must do better”, adding children should not go hungry.
The Department for Education said it had clear guidelines for food parcels.
During the lockdown, schools have been told to continue providing free meals for those who are learning at home.
But whereas in the first lockdown many families were given vouchers, schools are now being urged to provide food parcels through their caterer or a food company.
If schools cannot provide parcels, they can consider other arrangements, which might include vouchers for local shops and supermarkets, the Department for Education says.
A number of images were shared online which appeared to show packages with small amounts of food supplied – many of which are supposed to last for 10 days.
One picture that has been retweeted 15,000 times on Twitter and received 36,000 likes shows two carrots, two potatoes and a tin of baked beans among a small range of food items.
The person who posted the photo said in her tweet that the food had been provided instead of £30 of food vouchers and was supposed to provide lunches for a child for 10 days.
Chartwells, the company which she said provided the parcel, said it had not provided the hamper.