This weekend, the people of Ga Mashie took their turn in the Homowo festivities for this year.
The streets of Jamestown were filled with the beating of the Odadaoo drums by the Gbese Mantse, as the townsfolk and tourists alike trooped the principal streets with excitement.
Dignitaries from across the country have visited the various durbars, including Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia and former President John Mahama.
The festival was also graced by National Chief Imam, Sheikh Osman Nuhu Sharubutu.
The special traditional meal, ‘Kpokpoi’ and palm nut soup was cooked and sprinkled all across the municipality as custom demands.
It forms part of the rich Ga tradition to hoot at hunger (meaning of Homowo) to symbolise the historic victory of the people over famine.
The people of Nungua begin the celebration, followed by Lante Dzan We Clan, then Tema, Ga Mashie, La, Osu, Teshie, Kpone, Prampram and Ningo.
The Ghana Dance Ensemble also performed at Sempe We amid the Homowo celebration.
This ritual performance above was to announce the presence of Sempe Mantse, Nii Otintor II.
Another activity was the Twins Yam Festival as some individuals were paraded on the streets.
The centuries-old Homowo festival has become a uniting force among the Ga people.
- Asantehene insists chiefs cannot be blamed for galamsey activities
- ‘My husband either reaches Europe or dies at sea’
- PBC Ltd CEO, Richard Akuoko Adiyiah dead
- ‘The empty headedness of the youth was good enough to vote you into power’ – Senyo Hosi to KT Hammond
- The activities of Chairman Wontumi’s mining firm are illegal – John Jinapor
- Burkina Faso unrest: Military officers remove leader Damiba
- We do not deploy soldiers to provide security for mining firms – Armed Forces
- Galamsey fight: DCEs must get fired – John Awuah
- There is evidence to show some NPP top officials are into illegal mining – John Jinapor
- King Charles and late Queen will both feature on new 50p coins
- Livestream: 7th EMY Africa Awards on Joy Prime
- Patrons at Luv Fm Habitat Fair impressed with quality of event
- Count On Crops Hub equips 32 Agric Extension Officers with data collection skills
- Government fails to announce new farmgate price for cocoa despite start of season
- 2023 CHAN: Black Galaxies face Morocco, Madagascar and Sudan in Group C
- Fight against galamsey must be above partisan politics – Samuel Jinapor
- Customers can purchase electricity credits from Oct. 2 – ECG
- Arsenal beat Tottenham to go four points clear
- Aubameyang scores as Potter gets first Chelsea win
- Faisal Chibsah: From starting coaching career as volunteer to heading FIFA High-Performance specialist role for Africa
- Genser deal: We’re developing a Trojan horse to cannibalise all state enterprises in the energy sector – Ben Boakye
- Policymakers must ensure Ghana does not return to current economic situation – Dr. Twumasi-Baffuor
- Let the public know your innovations – Dr. Addo Kufuor charges tertiary institutions
- Over 1000 shops flooded at Kumasi Central Market; traders blame Contracta for the mess
- Orange Corners Ghana celebrates graduation of 45 entrepreneurs