Senegal shot-stopper, Edouard Mendy, has suggested Egypt goalkeeper Abou Gabal “Gabaski” deserved to be named as the goalkeeper of the just ended Africa Cup of Nations tournament.
The Chelsea goalie was given the award as the tournament’s best goalkeeper at the end of the final showdown on penalties, which saw Senegal win the competition for the first time in their history.
Mendy, after missing the first two games of the competition due to coronavirus, was restored in post for the subsequent games, keeping three clean sheets in five games while also conceding twice.
Compared to the Senegalese, Gabaski featured in four games in the tournament conceding once and putting up a historic performance in Egypt’s run to the final.
The Zamalek goalkeeper saved eight of the penalties he faced in the competition for Egypt resulting in many choosing him ahead of his opposition in Sunday’s final as their goalkeeper of the tournament.
Despite being given the award, Mendy believes the Egyptian was the best goalkeeper of the tournament,
“Gabaski is the best goalkeeper of the tournament, honestly. I spoke to him and I told him he deserves it [to win goalkeeper of the tournament]. And I was really impressed by his tournament,” Mendy told Egyptian TV station MBC after the final.
Gabaski was voted the man of the match at the end of the game against Senegal after making eight saves in 120 minutes of action.
- Jackie Appiah trends on Twitter as video of posh Trassaco mansion pops up
- Drama as Nigerian lawyer dresses as native doctor to Supreme Court
- Social media users troll Shatta Wale over Jackie Appiah’s mansion
- Scores injured in accident on Accra-Kumasi highway
- National Cathedral: Lies are being told to cause disaffection – John Kumah
- Finance Minister accounted for less than 50% of Covid-19 expenditure – Dr. Asiedu
- 18 dead in mass break-in to Spanish enclave
- Tonto Dikeh nominated as running mate to Rivers State governorship candidate
- Empress Gifty’s grandmother passes on
- Playback: Newsfile discusses accountability surrounding National Cathedral, Covid-19 expenditure
Man found dead on a farm after going missing
Fire guts 10-bedroom house at Dwase-Praso
2022 MTN FA Cup final: the five key players to watch
Take steps to prevent torture during operations – CHRAJ to Security Agencies
Tonto Dikeh nominated as running mate to Rivers State governorship candidate
Make youth development in peace a priority – UN Peace Ambassador to African leaders
Social media users troll Shatta Wale over Jackie Appiah’s mansion
Scores injured in accident on Accra-Kumasi highway
National Cathedral: Board of Trustees must also be blamed for infractions – Antwi-Bosiako
Over 1000 Nigeriens repatriated – Gender Ministry
Finance Minister accounted for less than 50% of Covid-19 expenditure – Dr. Asiedu
All issues raised about National Cathedral will be addressed – Dr John Kumah
National Cathedral: Lies are being told to cause disaffection – John Kumah
Suspects held over Nigeria church massacre
Uncle Ebo’s ‘I slept with your wife’ shows today at the National Theatre