Actor Max Von Sydow, who appeared in films and TV series including The Exorcist, Flash Gordon and Game of Thrones, has died at the age of 90.
His family announced “with a broken heart and infinite sadness” that the Swedish-born actor died on Sunday.
Von Sydow’s other film credits included Hannah and Her Sisters, Minority Report and Star Wars: The Force Awakens.
He was nominated for two Oscars during his career – including best actor in 1998 for Pelle the Conqueror.
His other Academy nomination was best supporting actor for his role in 2011’s Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close.
Von Sydow made 11 films with Ingmar Bergman, including The Seventh Seal, in which he famously played chess with Death.
The actor also played Ming the Merciless in 1980’s Flash Gordon, appeared in Martin Scorsese’s Shutter Island, and starred as the sinister James Bond villain Ernst Blofeld in 1983’s Never Say Never Again.
He continued acting late in life, voicing a character in The Simpsons in 2014 and appearing in three episodes of Game of Thrones in 2016.
The actor has two sons with his first wife Christina Inga Britta Olin. In 1997, he married Catherine Brelet in Provence and became a citizen of France five years later, meaning he had to relinquish his Swedish citizenship.
Director Edgar Wright led the tributes on Twitter, writing: “Max Von Sydow, such an iconic presence in cinema for seven decades, it seemed like he’d always be with us.
“He changed the face of international film with Bergman, played Christ, fought the devil, pressed the HOT HAIL button and was Oscar-nominated for a silent performance. A god.”
- Asamoah Gyan’s run, Bagbin’s dance and Black Stars fans’ clean-up as fans celebrate S. Korea win in style
- Paa Kwesi Schandorf: 5 things Otto Addo must fix after our game with South Korea
- 2022 World Cup: Mohammed Kudus inspires Black Stars to beat South Korea
- Norway Appeal Court dismisses Oslo chancery building case against Ghana
- Social media reacts to Black Stars line-up against South Korea
- Police arrest 7 gunmen who stormed hospital in attempt to kill teen
- ADB appoints Yakubu-Tali as new MD
- MTN Ghana to deactivate over 5.7 million subscribers SIM cards
- 2022 World Cup: Andre Ayew, Kudus could miss Uruguay clash with yellow cards against South Korea
- Policy rate hits 27%; loans to become more expensive
- ‘Council of State is receiving more money than the Food and Agric Ministry’ – Joe Jackson
- Infrastructure development and infrastructural reforms not adequate – Torgbuiga Adzonugaga Amenya Fiti V
- Africa Faith and Justice Network support victims of early child marriage
- Meteo predicts intense dry weather conditions in coming days
- Government’s decision to withdraw FX support for rice imports not well thought through – Senyo Hosi
- GHOSPA petitions NHIA to revise prices of medicines
- 2023 budget mere rhetoric, without real substance to it – Senyo Hosi
- National Vaccine Institute is 95 per cent complete – Dr Nsiah-Asare
- Ghana Science Association calls for application for Young Scientist Essay Challenge 2022
- Akufo-Addo congratulates Black Stars for South Korea’s defeat
- 2022 FIFA WC: Ghanaians should expect more from us – Gideon Mensah after Ghana’s win
- Playback: PM Express discuss the 2023 Budget
- Police investigate chief over alleged support for nomads suspected of robbery attacks at Ejura
- Major mining firms were consulted in Gold for Oil policy – BoG Governor
- BoG warns growth may remain below potential levels