German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said she is fine after she was seen trembling as she greeted Ukraine’s president on a boiling day in Berlin.
Mrs Merkel, 64, was visibly struggling as she stood next to Volodymyr Zelensky while a military band played the two countries’ anthems in the midday sun.
The temperatures in the German capital were approaching 30C (86F) at the time.
Mrs Merkel said she was dehydrated. “I’ve drunk at least three glasses of water and so I’m doing fine.”
The chancellor was answering a question about her wellbeing at a joint news conference with President Zelensky.
Meanwhile, Mr Zelensky, a comedian-turned-president, said that he would have come to the rescue if needed.
“She was standing next to me and completely safe,” he said.
Ms Merkel is one of the European Union’s most influential politicians and has been described as the Queen of Germany and even the Empress of Europe.
She has announced that she will step down when her current – fourth – term runs out in 2021.
- One feared dead, several others injured after accident at Legon underpass
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah allegedly picked up by National Security operatives
- Fire guts new Kejetia Market
- Ghana drops to 95th in 2021 World Happiness ranking
- Citi FM journalist, Caleb Kudah released from National Security custody
- Chinua Achebe’s ‘Things Fall Apart’, ‘No Longer at Ease’ and ‘Arrow of God’ are being adapted for television
- Cape Coast airport to be completed before end of second term – Transport Minister assures
- Wesley Girls: Aside ban on fasting Muslims aren’t allowed to observe Salat – Old student
- Our scholars in Cuba are broke because they insist on table-top payment – GNPC Foundation
- Don’t shake your car when fueling – Transport Consultant
Eight home-based players included in Ghana’s squad to face Morocco and Ivory Coast
Extraordinary problems require extraordinary measures – Lands Minister justifies burning of excavators
Government’s fight against galamsey camouflage – PPP
Court remands 32 alleged national security operatives accused of mining
Kenyan MPs summoned over bribery claims
#FixTheCountry: Be measured in your expectations of Akufo-Addo due to Covid-19 – Chief of Staff
#FixTheCountry: Pay cut for political leaders will not achieve much – Afenyo-Markin
Kumawood stars grace Mercy Asiedu’s 50th birthday
MTN Ghana donates in support of Eid celebration in Western Region
Inflation rate drifts into single digit of 8.5 per cent in April
Church of Pentecost hands over fully furnished Ejura prison to state
Legatum Center for Development and Entrepreneurship launches inaugural Legatum Foundry Fellowship for entrepreneurs in Africa
Pregnancy should not be a hindrance to your dreams – Nana Adwoa Awindor
Over 90% of ‘rotten’ vehicles at National Security premises distributed – Former MASLOC boss
Muslims urged to support in raising funds for the vulnerable