The Ghana Prisons Service is pushing for a 280 per cent increase in the daily feeding fee for inmates — that is from GHâ‚µ1.80p to GHâ‚µ5.00 per inmate.
The Ashanti Region Commander of the Service, Samuel Owusu Amponsah indicated that congestion, coupled with inadequate funds for feeding has taken a toll on the health of the inmates in the country.
He said this while addressing members of the Action Chapel that had come to donate 200 bags of rice to the Kumasi Central and Amanfrom Prions on New Year’s Day.
“Although the government is doing its best, the money is not enough so we are asking that government to increase the feeding fee to 5.00.
“The quality of food is not good because the money is woefully inadequate,” he lamented.
The gesture of Action Chapel in Ashanti Region is under the “Compassion in Action” Project initiated by founder, Archbishop Nicholas Duncan Williams.
The project has for the past five years supported and given hope to prisoners across the country.
Mr Owusu Amponsah, who doubles as Deputy Director of Prisons, observed that but for the support from individuals and corporate Ghana, the situation would have been worse.
He then expressed his profound gratitude to the group for their charitable act adding that, “your gifts will really help us.”
Head Pastor of Action Chapel International in Northern Ghana, Bishop James Nana Ofori Attah, said to add value to ex-convicts, the church has established a skills training and rehabilitation centre for prisoners near Prampram in the Greater Accra Region.
He also advised the youth to stay clear of bad friends and company.
He noted that bad company corrupts good behaviour.
- Our Day list: Oswald’s mother explains why her son mentioned Mrs Appiah
- Collins Dauda faces criminal charges over Saglemi Housing project
- Our Day list: I have a habit of forgetting, that is why my son wrote a letter – Mother
- This is my best Our Day – Boy who wrote wishlist to mother
- I will win hands down even against Asiedu Nketia – Assin North NPP parliamentary candidate
- Our Day list: Naana Opoku Agyemang pledges iPad Pro to Oswald
- Our Day List: Photos from Oswald’s new world
- Free SHS: Akufo-Addo hints at more budgetary allocation to education sector to address access and infrastructure
- Our Day List: KiDi performs at Oswald’s school, gifts him a Samsung tablet
- Parliament approves Kissi Agyebeng for Special Prosecutor
My daughter Farida has no Facebook or Instagram account – Mahama
Akufo-Addo appoints Sammi Awuku as Director General of NLA
NHIS to take healthcare access to doorsteps of civil servants
B5 Plus Limited emerge as Best Corporate Social Responsibility Company of the Year
Let’s denounce LGBTQ+ – Razak Opoku
Rewind: The best photos from MTN FA Cup 2021 quarter-finals
Haruna Iddrisu questions Kissi Agyebeng’s independence as Special Prosecutor
Covid-19: No antigen testing equipment is 100% with sensitivity and specificity – Dr Ayew Afriyie
Alleged phone thief chops off owner’s 4 fingers
Ghana deserves a national cathedral – Razak Opoku
Winners from 1xBet’s Prize Hunt final draw from Ghana received their well-deserved rewards
Our Day List: Photos from Oswald’s new world
Ato Forson alleges government paid GH¢16m for Sputnik V vaccines
Health Ministry receives Antigen test machines and kits for testing Covid-19
Mahama and Lordina celebrate 29th marriage anniversary