Audio By Carbonatix
The country's confirmed cases of Covid-19 now stands at 378, with six deaths, President Nana Akufo-Addo announced on Thursday.
According to him, two patients remain in critical condition while four others have fully recovered.
He explained that so far, 79 per cent of the 378 confirmed cases were imported, thus a justification of the travel restrictions government had imposed to limit the importation of the respiratory disease.
In his sixth national broadcast to update citizens on the situation of the Covid-19 outbreak and measures, the President said 192 of the cases came from travelers who entered the country before the closure of the borders, whilst 105 cases came from those who were mandatorily quarantined and tested on their arrival on March 21st and 22nd.
He said about 10,000 contacts traced were to be tested in the coming week, the outcome of which would determine the government's next action on the partial lockdown.
So far, 37,405 samples had been tested during the partial lockdown, of which 31,933 were in Accra and 5,472 in Kumasi.
As at Wednesday, April 8, 14,611 contacts of the samples collected had been tested for the virus in Accra and Kumasi.
There are 450 contact tracing teams currently working in Accra and Kumasi collecting nasal and sputum samples of persons who have come into contact with COVID-19 patients to ascertain their status.
President Akufo-Addo, consequently, announced the extension of the stay at home measure for one more week effective Monday, April 13, 2020 at exactly 0100hours.
The current two-week measure in 40 localities in the Greater Accra and Greater Kumasi Metropolitan areas and contiguous districts took effect at 0100 hours on Monday, March 30.
On reliefs for residents in lockdown areas, President Akufo-Addo said, the government would absorb the electricity bills of lifeline consumers. - those who consume not more than 50 kilowatt hours of electricity per month.
It would pay 50 per cent of the bills of other domestic and commercial consumers, using the March bill as a benchmark.
President Akufo-Addo entreated all Ghanaians to continue observing the safety and hygiene protocols put in place in order to win the battle against the COVID-19 pandemic.
He expressed his gratitude to the frontline health workers and security personnel for their patriotism and sacrifices towards the fight against the virus.
He also thanked international organisations, including the World Health Organisation, the World Bank, the International Monetary Fund, Jack Ma Foundation, the Chinese and US governments for their show of solidarity in the crisis.
Latest Stories
-
Opinion: President Mahama must reshuffle his cabinet now to save the NDC from internal cracks
9 minutes -
We’ll not condone such acts – GBA condemns Afenyo-Markin’s judge attack
13 minutes -
One shot dead, 7 others injured at galamsey site in Bibiani Anhwiaso Bekwai
26 minutes -
Two men arrested over stunt at enclosure of famous monkey Punch
30 minutes -
Belgian ex-diplomat Davignon dies before trial over Lumumba assassination
53 minutes -
Dembele having treatment for calf strain, say PSG
59 minutes -
Ghana placed in Pot 2 ahead of 2027 AFCON qualifying draw
1 hour -
Elon Musk loses lawsuit against OpenAI
1 hour -
Four killed in protests during Kenyan strikes over high fuel prices
2 hours -
Motorists stranded as floods submerge parts of Accra-Cape Coast highway
2 hours -
Absa Bank supports Holy Trinity SHS students with career guidance and financial literacy
2 hours -
At least 100 deaths reported in Ebola outbreak in DR Congo as 6 Americans exposed
2 hours -
Shakira wins £50m tax refund from Spanish government
2 hours -
Gunman kills four and injures eight in Turkey, media reports say
2 hours -
Former Google CEO Eric Schmidt booed by graduates at mention of AI
2 hours