Audio By Carbonatix
Although Ghana’s agreement with the US to host two former Guantanamo Bay detainees ended on January 6, the government is yet to make an express statement on the contentious issue.
BBC’s Favour Nunoo reports that the US Embassy in Ghana has said the future of the two former detainees, Mahmud Umar Muhammad Bin Atef and Khalid Muhammed Salih Al-Dhuby, can only be decided by the Ghana government.
The report also reveals that although the Foreign Affairs Ministry had planned a morning presser on the matter yesterday, Wednesday, January 10, officials at the Presidency said no press conference had been scheduled.
Meanwhile, the now governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) fiercely criticised the John Mahama administration for hosting the two former terror suspects.
Controversial decision
The two detainees were held in the infamous Guantanamo Prison for 14 years over links with terrorist group Al-Qaeda.
As part a process to close down the detention centre, they were brought to Ghana in 2016 to stay for two years.
The Mahama administration’s decision to host the terror suspects in the country was heavily criticised by a section of the public who thought they pose a security threat.
NPP, then in opposition thought the agreement by the National Democratic Congress (NDC)-led government breached the constitution when Parliament was not involved in the deal.
Watch related video below:
Unconstitutional decision
To test the constitutionality of the decision to host the two detainees, Margaret Bamful and Henry Nana Boakye, two Ghanaian citizens sued Attorney General and the Minister of Interior over the state’s decision to host the two.
The Supreme Court in June 2017 declared as unconstitutional the agreement between the Mahama government and the US.
The apex court ordered the government to send the agreement to Parliament for ratification or have the two detainees sent back to the US.
According to the judgment, the Mahama government needed the approval of Parliament before entering into any international agreement, just as in the case of the two detainees.
Watch related below:
Pressure mounts
Some Ghanaians have taken to social media to demand an immediate comment from the Akufo-Addo government, but the relevant officials remain tight-lipped.
Latest Stories
-
Bawumia charges NPP executives to rebuild party for 2028 victory
1 minute -
Unite the region and deliver victory in 2028 – Dr. Bawumia to new Greater Accra NPP executives
1 minute -
Ukrainian strikes kill six in Russia, acting governor says
2 minutes -
The goal is to win 2028 polls – Bawumia
2 minutes -
GoldBod secures 30% of large-scale gold output for Ghana’s strategic reserves
2 minutes -
FDA warns against unauthorised chemicals for ripening plantain
3 minutes -
‘If you sell gold at a loss, you’re not a good trader’ – Afenyo-Markin jabs Sammy Gyamfi
7 minutes -
Dr. Bawumia meets new Greater Accra NPP executives; charges them to bring all talents on board
10 minutes -
Before the Next Jason: When seniority becomes a weapon against young academics
23 minutes -
For President Mahama, every mother must live. What about you?
32 minutes -
OMCs commence fuel price reviews; Star Oil sells petrol at GH¢14.97, diesel kept at GH¢16.97
1 hour -
Residents of Brekusu-Kwabenya-Kitase protest over deplorable roads
1 hour -
Genser Energy secures 456m euros to accelerate next phase of growth across West Africa
1 hour -
COKA visits Kokofu after Ashanti NPP win, calls for unity ahead of 2028
1 hour -
Bono East crowns Kintampo SHS, Gyarko Community Day SHS for national public speaking finals
2 hours