Ghanaians were in a state of trauma after it was announced in the early hours of Monday that former Black Stars player and winger for Turkish Süper Lig club Hatayspor, Christian Atsu was trapped under a rubble after an earthquake hit Turkey.
It was reported that the Hataysport forward and the club’s sporting director Taner Savut were unaccounted for after the incident.
The earthquake struck parts of Turkey and Syria around 04:00 local time (01:00 GMT) on Monday. This was followed hours later by a tremor.
More than 4,300 people have been reported dead in Turkey and Syria after the quakes.
In regard to the devastating news, Ghanaians and football enthusiasts across the world took to social media to show love and asked for prayer on behalf of the 31-year-old.
Say a prayer for Christian Atsu 🙏— KALYJAY (@gyaigyimii) February 6, 2023
President Nana Akufo-Addo also shared his heartfelt message to the government of Turkey and the Ghanaian populace and also prayed for the Ghanaian star.
May their souls rest in perfect peace. Our hearts and prayers go out to the survivors, and we pray that our fellow Ghanaian, Christian Atsu, is found safe and sound. 2/2 pic.twitter.com/7GOtpYyKAI— Nana Akufo-Addo (@NAkufoAddo) February 6, 2023
Former President John Mahama also took to the micro-blogging site saying “Let’s continue to pray for our brother, Christian Atsu, and his club director. The city of Hayat is in the region affected by the earthquake. Let’s continue to pray that God spares their lives.”
Let’s continue to pray for our brother, Christian Atsu, and his club director. The city of Hayat is in the region affected by the earthquake. Let’s continue to pray that God spares their lives. https://t.co/51RKJOc7AZ— John Dramani Mahama (@JDMahama) February 6, 2023
However, in the early hours of Tuesday, the Turkis media reported that the former Black Stars forward has been pulled from the wreckage and is alive.
Christian Atsu enkazdan canlı olarak çıkarıldı!— Yağız Sabuncuoğlu (@yagosabuncuoglu) February 7, 2023
The club’s Sporting Director, Taner Savut is reportedly still unaccounted for. But the winger has since been taken to the hospital, as per the club’s manager, Mustafa Özat.
“I just had another meeting. Christian Atsu was taken to hospital with injuries.”
Turkish reporter, Yagiz Sabuncuoglu told Joy Sports the winger’s health is currently being monitored.
“It’s good news but we’re following his condition because when someone is rescued from under rubble, it means he hasn’t eaten or drank anything. So the person’s condition is very important after the rescue. That’s why we’re following up with the hospital.”
In light of this new development, social media users have since thanked God for the life of the Hatayspor winger.
The news everyone wanted to wake up to. After almost 24 hours, Christian Atsu has been pulled out of the rubble alive!— Owuraku Ampofo (@_owurakuampofo) February 7, 2023
Never say never, never give up. pic.twitter.com/i2N4e6UYl9
Great and Positive news as Christian Atsu has been found alive under the rubble and receiving treatment.🙏🏻❤️ pic.twitter.com/GstY3llzLP— DEAR GOD🇬🇭❤️ (@mrlamar01) February 7, 2023
Member of Parliament for North Tongu, Samuel Okudzeto Ablakwa, joined the tweeps to express their gratitude to God and wished him a speedy recovery.
Glory be to God. 🙏🏽 🤲— Sam Okudzeto Ablakwa (@S_OkudzetoAblak) February 7, 2023
Christian Atsu rescued alive.
We wish him excellent & speedy recovery from his injuries. pic.twitter.com/68F0fnZm8A
JUST IN:— George Addo Jnr (@addojunr) February 7, 2023
Christian Atsu has been pulled from the wreckage ALIVE
Turkish journalist @yagosabuncuoglu has reported.
JUST IN: Christian Atsu had just been pulled from the wreckage, Turkish journalist @yagosabuncuoglu has reported. He’s doing okay, per the same reporter. #Joysports pic.twitter.com/kWuqdg5rrV— Fentuo Tahiru Fentuo (@Fentuo_) February 7, 2023
The Ghana Football Association has also asked the Ghanaian populace to continue praying for Christian Atsu.
Update: We’ve received some positive news that Christian Atsu has been successfully rescued from the rubble of the collapsed building and is receiving treatment.— Ghana Football Association (@ghanafaofficial) February 7, 2023
Let’s continue to pray for Christian🙏🏽
More reactions below.
The God that pulled Christian Atsu out of the rubble safely will pull you out of all your financial and health problems. Say amen if you believe.— Dr King Winter (@I_Am_Winter) February 7, 2023
Alhamdullilah— Nancy Brew (@nancybrewgh) February 7, 2023
Christian Atsu has been found. Thank God. I will also like to commend the Turkish government and all those putting their lives on the line to help others. Allah bless you.
Glory to God! 🙌👏👏👏 @ChristianAtsu20 pic.twitter.com/POCPVBua1V— BeksFCB (@Joshua_Ubeku) February 7, 2023
Woke up to the best of news, Christian Atsu is alive. Alhamdulillah.— Sharyf (@__Sharyf) February 7, 2023
Glory to God 🙏🏾❤️ https://t.co/pnIgyiT3Yi— H.E Prince David Osei (@PrinceDavidOsei) February 7, 2023
Christian Atsu has finally been pulled from the wreckage alive🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽🙏🏽 pic.twitter.com/K5jFocfMAI— Aisha Ibrahim (@TheNaanaAisha) February 7, 2023
- Akufo-Addo swears in 3 new members of Electoral Commission
- ECG disconnects power to Ho Airport, GRA over debt
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Cedi may record mixed performance to dollar this week
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Putin says ties with Africa a priority to Moscow
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah
- Intimidation of journalists is on the rise – Kweku Andoh Awotwi
- I have already won Ayawaso West Wuogon NDC primaries – Fred Nuamah
- Playback: One-one-on with Managing Director of ECG on PM Express
- EC has become an annex of the NPP – Sammy Gyamfi
- If you move right, you don’t need 10 shows to be okay – Kelvyn Boy
- Akufo-Addo is packing EC with known NPP members – Kofi Adams
- 3 JoyNews journalists win big at Merck Foundation 2022 Media Recognition Awards
- I want to be President to build a new Ghana –Kwaku Kobeah
- Essence of marketing is creation of strong brands – Nsarkoh
- Christiana Awuni explains why ‘slay queens’ can’t quit having body enhancement surgeries
- Spend wisely, desist from expensive borrowing – GSE boss to government