Audio By Carbonatix
The Government will build 2,225 new homes for victims of the Akosombo Dam Spillage to replace those whose houses were destroyed during the spillage in October last year.
The figure represents 40 per cent of the total claims made by individuals during the validation exercise, Mr Kojo Oppong Nkrumah, the Minister of Works and Housing, said.
He said the Government would spend between 400 and 500 million Ghana Cedis to complete the entire resettlement, including the construction of 2,225 new homes and other ancillary facilities at the affected areas.
On October 15, 2023, the Volta River Authority (VRA) spilled water from the Akosombo Dam, which exceeded its limits to protect the integrity and safety of the dam.
The spillage resulted in flooding in low-lying communities around the dam’s enclave, affecting towns including Mepe, Battor, Sogakope, Mafi, Adidome and Ada in the North and Central Tongu districts of the Volta Region.
Addressing the media in Accra to update the public on the housing sector, Mr Oppong Nkrumah said, in April this year the Government cut the sod for the construction of 115 housing units for the victims of the dam spillage.
The 115 housing units are currently 60 per cent complete.
The first phase of construction works would involve 1,010 housing units, and the Ministry had already been given Commitment Certificate to commit government to GHc200 million.
The remaining housing units would commence as soon as funds were made available by the central government.
The briefing focused on government’s efforts to resolving the stalled housing projects, develop public private partnership framework with incentives to close the housing deficit, ensure sustainable financing for housing projects, fast-track the completion of affordable housing projects and securing and growing land banks.
The Minister highlighted some of the priority affordable housing projects the Ministry had tackled to close the housing deficit in the country.
He mentioned the 8,000 housing units under the Pokuase-Afiaman Housing Project, 5,000 Saglemi Housing Project, of which 1,506 were partially completed, 342 units of houses under the Koforidua Affordable Housing Project, 1,904 housing units under the Tema Development Company (TDC), of which 1,072 completed, and the ongoing 609 housing units for public sector workers, which would be ready in October, this year, for distribution to interested applicants.
“This government remains steadfast in its commitment to providing decent, safe, secure, and affordable housing for all its citizens,” Mr Oppong Nkrumah assured.
Latest Stories
-
PAC urges Finance Ministry to conduct annual audits of gov’t arrears to curb financial irregularities
1 minute -
S.K. Agyemang launches ‘Menpaebo’ album with Light Seekers
2 minutes -
Punishing perpetrators only way to end electoral violence — Asiedu Nketia
3 minutes -
KN Foundation, partners donate GHC20,000 and items to Nsawam Prison inmates
5 minutes -
Ghana Sports Fund will transform sports infrastructure within five to ten years — NSA boss
9 minutes -
GIB advocates deeper financial sector collaboration for growth
10 minutes -
Children must be supported to discover and develop their talents — Advocate
11 minutes -
One Nation Reggae Festival: Sierra Leone builds cultural bridge between Africa and the Caribbean
12 minutes -
New Metro Mass buses will improve safety, comfort and efficiency — Vice President
13 minutes -
Funny Face declares himself mental health advocate after recovery journey
21 minutes -
KN Foundation outreach: ‘This is not your permanent home’ – Okraku brings hope to Nsawam inmates
29 minutes -
Samson Deen sponsors Para Powerlifting team for African Championship qualification campaign
29 minutes -
Tolon NDC youth petition Asiedu Nketia over killing of party supporter ‘Alhaji’ Haruna Saibu
31 minutes -
Albert Teye wins Kia Ghana World Cup contest grand prize on Joy FM
39 minutes -
Transport Minister urges Metro Mass Transit to strengthen internal capacity for fleet expansion
47 minutes