The Ghana Stock Exchange ended the first quarter of this year as the best performing stock market in Africa with an annual return of 14.62% in dollar term for investors.
The impressive performance of the market translated into an improved market capitalization of GH¢57.16 billion at the end of March this year.
The cedi’s strong performance has compelled investors to shift their interest to the stock market because they will accrue more return than investing in the dollar.
Nine companies appreciated in value as compared to five losers at the end of the first three months of this year.
MTN Ghana was the biggest gainer, appreciating in stock value by 32%. It was followed by Soceite Generale (17.19%) and Total Ghana (11.3%).
The biggest loser was Unilever Ghana Limited with year-to-date depreciation of 26.95%, but analysts believe its performance will see a swift turnaround by the first half of this year. It is presently selling at GH¢6.06 per share.
On the continent, the Johannesburg Stock Exchange (12.03%) was the 2nd best performing stock market, whilst the Namibia Stock Exchange placed third (8.12%).
|GSE Composite Index||13.99%|
|GSE Finacial Index||3.54%|
- Bantama SDA Primary Headmaster shot dead by suspected armed robbers
- Playback: Akufo-Addo delivers 25th address on measures taken against Covid-19
- Cameron Duodu: Sɛbe o, tafrakyɛ, na ‘Ɔte K’ɔkɔɔ Soɔ’ deɛ, yɛbɔ n’ano sɛn? – With all due respect, how can the occupant of the Golden Stool be silenced?
- 10-year-old boy allegedly commits suicide at Dambai
- Fuel prices to go up again – Chamber of Petroleum Consumers Ghana
- Kokomba warriors kill human-attacking antelopes
- Man loses lower lip during fight with friend over GH¢18.00
- 7 people electrocuted, 5 others injured at Amanfrom
- African Ministers of Health endorse and support Africa Common Position on Covid-19 passport
- Stephen Appiah tells full story of how his son, Rodney joined Olympics
Chelsea thrashed by Barcelona in Women’s Champions League final
Liverpool goalkeeper Alisson pays tribute to father after scoring winner
Rafael Nadal beats Novak Djokovic to win Italian Open final in Rome
Zinedine Zidane denies telling Real Madrid players he will leave
Suarez rescues Atletico on dramatic day in title day
Armed men attack NPP Communicator
Akufo-Addo applauds Ghanaians for adhering to Covid-19 protocols
Ghana saved $1.4 billion from deferring 3 Power Purchasing Agreements – Energy Minister
Covid-19 pandemic- All non-essential trips to high-risk countries should be postponed – Akufo-Addo
Full text: Akufo-Addo’s 25th address on measures to deal with Covid-19 pandemic
Hologram, QR Code to authenticate full vaccination status of Ghanaians
2nd dose of Covid-19 vaccines to be deployed from May 19- Akufo-Addo
Government is making all efforts to achieve overall vaccination target – Akufo-Addo
Playback: The Probe, discusses Ghana’s 2nd vaccine roll-out and Quest for Herd Immunity
Projects by government to solve energy crisis near completion – Matthew Opoku Prempeh