Audio By Carbonatix
Gunmen have killed at least 52 people and displaced nearly 2,000 others over several days of attacks in Nigeria's northern Plateau state, which has a history of violence between farmers and cattle herders, the national emergency agency said
The reason for the attacks in six villages in Plateau's Bokkos district last week was not immediately known, but it is the worst outbreak of violence since December 2023, when more than 100 people were killed in the same district.
[trix_audio id=1]
The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said the scale of the violence became clearer over the weekend as 52 people were confirmed dead while 22 others were taken to the hospital.
NEMA said in a statement late on Sunday that "gunmen carried out brutal assaults", leading to multiple fatalities and widespread destruction of property.
"Over 1,820 individuals have been displaced. Three displacement camps have been established," the agency said, adding that the security situation remained tense.
President Bola Tinubu directed security agencies to hunt down the attackers, who would face "severe punishment", the presidency said.
Plateau is one of several ethnically and religiously diverse hinterland states known as Nigeria's Middle Belt, where inter-communal conflict has claimed hundreds of lives in recent years.
The violence is often painted as an ethno-religious conflict between Muslim herders and mainly Christian farmers. But climate change and the reduction of grazing land through agricultural expansion are also major factors.
Latest Stories
-
Illegal mining drives Ghanaian children from classrooms into hazardous labour
25 minutes -
NACOC committed to strengthening border security – DG
29 minutes -
DTI students showcase innovative solutions at 2026 Capstone Projects Exhibition
37 minutes -
‘We let the athletes down’ – NSA boss on Ghana’s Commonwealth Games campaign
45 minutes -
Jinapor prioritises exploration, investment to reverse Ghana’s oil production decline
47 minutes -
Eric Tinkler highlights deep-rooted challenges at Asante Kotoko, admits club is aware
50 minutes -
Next 15 years of Petroleum Commission must focus on transformation – John Jinapor
51 minutes -
Bank of Ghana’s negative equity should not come as a surprise – Minority
52 minutes -
US$3.5bn fresh investment shows renewed confidence in Ghana’s oil sector – Jinapor
53 minutes -
Another centenary in Keta: Vodza RC School
1 hour -
GES engages teacher unions over concerns about 2025 promotion dates
1 hour -
Ghana must move from participation to ownership in petroleum sector – Jinapor
1 hour -
Government moves to restore investor confidence as Ghana seeks to revive oil production
2 hours -
Kingsley Agyemang calls for legally protected fund to tackle Africa’s flood risk
2 hours -
Andre Ayew Backs Grassroots Sports as Ghana-Anhui Chamber Donates 2,120 Items for Constituency Games
2 hours