Audio By Carbonatix
Actors' union Sag-Aftra says it has agreed a tentative deal with Hollywood studios to end a months-long strike.
Sag-Aftra reached agreement with the Alliance of Motion Picture and TV Producers (AMPTP) in a unanimous vote, ending the 118-day shutdown.
They said the strike will officially end on Thursday, and that more details would be released following a meeting on Friday.
Actors have been calling for better pay and safeguards on the use of AI.
AMPTP said it was pleased to have reached the tentative agreement and "looks forward to the industry resuming the work of telling great stories".
It said the deal gives Sag-Aftra "the biggest contract-on-contract gains in the history of the union".
Sag-Aftra represents around 160,000 members of the industry and has been on strike since July 14, causing major disruption.
Disney/Marvel's Blade, Dune: Part Two and Fantastic Four have all been delayed by several months, while Avengers: The Kang Dynasty and Avengers: Secret Wars have also been pushed back by a year.
Live action remakes of Disney animations Moana and Lilo & Stitch have also been affected, as has James Cameron's Avatar series and Paddington in Peru.
As well as film delays, Hollywood stars have also not been attending events such as film premieres while the strike has been taking place, as union rules prohibit them from taking any work, including promotion or publicity for projects.
In addition to increased pay and AI guarantees, Sag-Aftra has called for increased royalties and higher contributions to actors' pension and health plans.
Actors appear to have responded positively to the deal, with Zac Efron describing it as "incredible" at a premiere for the wrestling film The Iron Claw.
Oscar winner Jamie Lee Curtis posted on Instagram that "perseverance pays off".
The Writers Guild of America (WGA) ended their strike in September after almost five months.
The combination of the actor and writers' strikes is estimated to have cost the California economy more than $6.5bn (£5.3bn) so far, according to Deadline.
Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass welcomed the "fair agreement", and said the strikes had impacted "millions" in Los Angeles and throughout the country.
Although Hollywood's star actors earn millions, many lesser-known performers often struggle to get by, particularly amid rising inflation and industry changes.
Latest Stories
-
NSMQ 2026: Kpando SHS brush aside Abor, Jukwa to storm One-Eighth stage with 32 point gap
10 minutes -
Duncan Amoah: Gov’t should create conditions for 24-hour economy, not build markets
16 minutes -
JoyNews-Republic Bank Habitat Fair finale turns homeownership dreams into real possibilities
49 minutes -
Bamiri chief commissions KG block, guest house to boost education and revenue
1 hour -
NSMQ 2026: Yaa Asantewaa Girls’ going ‘beck’ to Tanoso after Bishop Herman deals them early exit
2 hours -
Data Protection Commission acquires two vehicles to strengthen data protection enforcement
2 hours -
NSMQ 2026: Holy Child School storms back from two-year NSMQ absence to book One-Eighth ticket
3 hours -
GNFS dismisses reports of unpaid 2025 rent allowance
4 hours -
Gordon Asare-Bediako steps down from NPP Communications Director race, backs Dennis Aboagye
4 hours -
GES dismisses requirement for newly promoted teachers to submit documents for salary adjustments
5 hours -
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
6 hours -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
6 hours -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
6 hours -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
6 hours -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
6 hours