The Agbogbomefia of the Asogli State, Togbe Afede XIV, has bemoaned the rate at which corruption is dissipating the country’s scarce resources.
The outspoken chief said if the government had dealt properly with issues of corruption, the current economic crisis wouldn’t have been upon the country.
According to him, the government has not backed expenditure with honesty and prudence.
Togbe Afede XIV opined that had these two virtues been exhibited, the country would not be needing a loan from external sources.
According to him, the country’s budget deficits would have been reduced as well.
“Ghana Integrity Initiative estimated that Ghana ‘loses close to USD3billion to corruption annually’.
“There is no doubt that our budget deficit would have been narrower, and we probably would not need to borrow from external sources, if honesty and prudence had guided our spending,” he said.
He thus blamed this on the use of single source in awarding government contracts.
This, he explained that makes way for government apparatchiks and cronies to dupe the state.
“The resort to single sourcing or limited tender in the award of contracts, under false certificates
of urgency, has been harmful.
“It has allowed a few to deploy foul means to secure contracts for relatives and cronies at inflated prices that hurt everybody.
“While some exploit ‘urgency’, other officials hide under ‘confidentiality’ to appropriate our limited resources into personal wealth.
The venerable chief made these comments in in a 14-page opinion piece over the weekend.
- Full text: Kamala Harris’ speech upon arrival in Accra
- Photos of Kamala Harris visit to Ghana
- Mobile Money transactions in only 2 months of 2023 hit ¢264.1bn
- I’m very excited about the future of Africa – Kamala Harris
- I intend to do work that will increase investment in Africa – Kamala Harris
- Speculation that NDC imposed its decision on Minority Caucus is untrue – Sammy Gyamfi
- Ghana records $752.8m trade surplus in first 2 months of 2023
- What an honour it is to be here in Ghana – Kamala Harris
- Ghana’s reserves improve slightly to $2.62bn; balance of payment remains negative
- T-Bills auction: sales undersubscribed by 23%; interest rates remain stable
- AMA engineer calls for ban on single-use plastics
- NDC flagbearership race: ‘I’ll bring discipline back into finances’ – Mahama says after vetting
- I am coming with a new energy and force – Ho Central Constituency MP aspirant
- Seth Kunkpe: Nigeria’s snail pace to democratic maturity
- German government supports training of returned migrants
- BoG increases policy rate to 29.5%; loans to remain expensive
- We’re committed to helping Ghana resolve current economic crisis – China assures
- NDC vs NDC: Do you agree with Leadership or ‘Rebel MPs’?
- We would all have sworn to Antoa if my dad was alive – Zanetor Rawlings
- Popular American filmmaker Spike Lee is in Ghana
- Asante Kotoko mutually part ways with Seydou Zerbo
- The I in the Collective!
- It hurts but we’ll work harder – Eno Barony on losing out on VGMA nominations
- Playback: Kamala Harris meets Akufo-Addo
- I pray NDC MPs who voted for ministerial nominees are found and publicly shamed – Dr Apaak