Audio By Carbonatix
Former President John Mahama has once again thrown a challenge to his successor President Akufo-Addo to debate him prior to the December election.
He said since they have both had a taste of the presidency, there is a common basis to debate whose track record is better.
The National Democratic Congress (NDC) flagbearer said the President is running away from debate because he has nothing to show for his time in office.
"You say this election is about track records and I welcome that...yes it is about track record and we both have one as Presidents. What is wrong with us sitting down and talking about that?" he quizzed on the Class FM Breakfast Show, Monday.
"So I will invite him again...I think he should ignore Sammi Awuku and all the others and just come out boldly and let's talk about our track records. It will be for the benefit of Ghanaians," Mr Mahama said.
He believes this will give Ghanaian electorates a clearer picture of who they want to lead the country again from 2021.
Last month, Mr Mahama said the NDC has a more superior record of providing an equitable distribution of development projects across the country than the New Patriotic Party (NPP).
He reiterated his readiness to debate the President on all issues whenever the President decides but his invitation for debate was rejected.
The governing New Patriotic Party (NPP) mounted a defence on why it has refused to accept the challenge.
In an interview with Joy FM’s, Deputy Information Minister, Pius Enam Hadzide described the debate challenged as unnecessary since the citizens have witnessed immense development under the leadership of the incumbent government.
According to him, the NDC flagbearer is adopting a ‘desperate’ but ‘smart’ way to deceive Ghanaians.
The party also said Mr Mahama while in office avoided debating Nana Akufo-Addo in 2016.
But Mr Mahama explained that he never ran away from debating the then-NPP candidate.
"I was the first incumbent to do a debate in 2020 with all my contenders including then-candidate Nana Akufo-Addo. In 2016, the Institute of Economic Affairs (IEA) wanted to conduct the debate and we had a problem with the Institute so we said we were not going to participate in an IEA debate.
"But we made it clear we were willing to debate in any debate organised by an independent or neutral body. And so in 2016, a debate was held with all the other contenders and it was only Nana Akufo-Addo who declined to debate," he explained.
The opposition NDC flagbearer said a day after the debate, "Nana Akufo-Addo was on Peace FM having his own debate with himself."
Latest Stories
-
FDA records GH¢70m surplus in 2025 despite laboratory equipment, illicit product concerns
4 minutes -
‘Are we regulating danger or birthdays?’ – IMANI questions 15-year used vehicle restriction, asks GSA
4 minutes -
Russia, Ghana discuss transport cooperation and logistics development
5 minutes -
Government clears $1.47bn legacy energy debt, saves $500m through fuel-switching — Jinapor
8 minutes -
Why October for Wontumi’s bail application when it could have been heard in August or September? — Frank Davies
14 minutes -
Gender Ministry, Sanneh Institute renew push to end witchcraft accusations in Ghana
16 minutes -
‘Sustainability must become a way of life’ – MTN’s Georgina Fiagbenu
22 minutes -
Sekondi fisherfolk trained in fire prevention and emergency response after June harbour fire
23 minutes -
Benjamin Asare to receive US$38,000 JAC Motors vehicle after Ghana’s 2026 World Cup campaign
33 minutes -
Why I spend my days raising mosquitoes
36 minutes -
The case for the aged talent: Why experience never retires
50 minutes -
Ghana’s new wealth window
56 minutes -
Thinking beyond risk key to building resilient institutions – Stanbic Bank executive
1 hour -
John Boadu leads NPP National Chairman race with 27% — Global InfoAnalytics
1 hour -
AMMREN calls for renewed investment in science, community action to fight mosquito-borne diseases
1 hour