Athletics great and eight-time Olympic gold medallist Usain Bolt and his long-time girlfriend Kasi Bennett welcomed their first child on Sunday, Jamaican Prime Minister Andrew Holness confirmed in a congratulatory tweet on Monday.
Jamaica’s Bolt, who holds world records in the 100m and 200m distance, confirmed Bennett was expecting a daughter in an Instagram video in March.
“Congratulations to our sprint legend Usain Bolt and Kasi Bennett on the arrival of their baby girl,” Holness tweeted.
Bolt, the only sprinter to win the 100m and 200m golds at three consecutive Olympics (2008, 2012 and 2016), had previously said he would advise his future children against following in his footsteps.
“That’s going to be hard for my kid. If they want to do it, I’m fine with it. But initially I’m going to say don’t do it, because I know the pressure that will come along with it,” the 33-year-old said during the weekend of Super Bowl LIV in Miami.
An 11-time world champion, Bolt retired after the 2017 world championships in London where he suffered a hamstring injury in the final race of his career.
- I feared for my life so I lied about being an Ewe – Caleb Kudah
- Citi FM journalist gained access to National Security premises under false pretences – Chief Director
- Affail Monney apologises for alleging Caleb Kudah breached Code of Ethics
- Information Minister visits Citi FM over alleged assault on 2 of its journalists
- Dzata Cement denies claims of selling product at ¢30 per bag
- GPL wrap: Kotoko extend gap at top after Olympics surrender lead
- Ordering loophole allows students to eat for free at KFC for six months
- Zoe Abu-Baidoo declined our invitation – National Security defends ‘Rambo-style’ invasion of Citi FM premises
- Assin North MP’s case: Cape Coast High Court dismisses allegation of bias against presiding judge
- Caleb Kudah didn’t breach Code of Ethics – GJA General Secretary
GIBA joins calls for independent inquiry on Citi FM journalist alleged assault
Accounts of how some people are treated by National Security shocking – Samson Lardi
Stop showing local feature films on TV – Filmmakers told
NCCE sensitizes security services on constitutional obligations
Kwabre East MP commends Muslim for peaceful co-existence
Evangelist slapped with ¢100K fine, 25 white fowls, eggs over comments against Nungua Traditional Council
Mere apology cannot save GJA President this time around – ASEPA
Lack of external support hinders progress of ODF interventions in Ashanti Region
Woman attacked by wild antelope succumbs to death
Kojo Adaah: Is the Ghanaian politician under siege?
Complaints by aggrieved KATH staff have been resolved – Head of Surgery Directorate
Be firm in your stance to settle Dixcove dispute – Chieftaincy Minister urges Ahanta King
Ban use of mercury in small-scale mining – Asantehene
Citi FM petitions National Media Commission over assault on journalists
Millennial Street podcast takes on #FixTheCountry protests