Audio By Carbonatix
Kevin Spacey is a "sexual bully" who assaults other men, jurors have been told by the prosecution at the outset of his trial.
The American actor is facing 12 charges in a British trial, covering allegations made by four men stretching from 2001 to 2013.
He appeared at London Southwark Crown Court on Friday to hear the first day of evidence being given against him.
The 63-year-old denies all the allegations.
Prosecutor Christine Agnew opened a trial that is expected to last for a month by setting out the allegations levelled at Mr Spacey.
She told jurors: "He is an extremely famous actor who has won a number of awards. He is also, the prosecution allege, a man who sexually assaults other men.
"A man who does not respect personal boundaries or space, a man who it would seem delights in making others feel powerless and uncomfortable, a sexual bully."
Miss Agnew told the court the first complainant said Mr Spacey would speak "openly about his sexuality" to him from the time they met, which made him uncomfortable.
Over time Mr Spacey began to touch him inappropriately, with the contact becoming "more intense" and escalating to occasions when he would "grab and grope... in an aggressive way".
The prosecutor alleged Mr Spacey got a "sexual thrill out of this type of sexual aggression".
She told jurors to concentrate on the evidence and not to feel "starstruck" or "overwhelmed" because of Mr Spacey's fame.
In January, the actor pleaded not guilty to three counts of indecent assault, three counts of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in sexual activity without consent.
He also previously denied four further charges of sexual assault and one count of causing a person to engage in penetrative sexual activity without consent.
The four men who have made the allegations are entitled to anonymity under the law.
Mr Spacey has had a successful career in Hollywood spanning four decades, including winning two Oscars for American Beauty and The Usual Suspects, and starring in the first five series of Netflix's House of Cards.
He was born in the US but served as the director of the Old Vic theatre in London between 2004 and 2015, and continues to have a home in the city.
The trial continues.
Latest Stories
-
Netflix sued by band Demon Hunter over ‘KPop Demon Hunters’
2 hours -
Harvard to pay $53 million to settle lawsuits over theft of body parts
2 hours -
Mark Zuckerberg encouraged growth over child safety, ex-Meta executive testifies at trial
2 hours -
Amazon plans drone delivery expansion to about 500 US locales
2 hours -
Trump calls for Congress to pass crypto bill at White House event
2 hours -
ABC says intimidation by Trump’s FCC forced programming changes
3 hours -
Uber launches autonomous rides in Zagreb, its first in Europe
3 hours -
Ecuador intelligence chief and five Americans killed in Kenya helicopter crash
3 hours -
NMC reconstitutes boards of four state-owned media organisations
3 hours -
Keep abreast of new traffic regulations – Police
3 hours -
Police to prosecute commercial drivers for overcharging passengers
3 hours -
24-Hour Markets is not our responsibility – Goosie Tanoh distances Secretariat from project
4 hours -
Vaccine breakthrough stops cancer returning in trial
4 hours -
‘I was born in South Africa’, says beauty queen Chidimma Adetshina facing legal bid to deport her
4 hours -
Prince Harry and Meghan moving back to UK
4 hours