Audio By Carbonatix
Kenya issued an arrest warrant and requested the extradition of a British citizen on Tuesday over the murder of a 21-year-old woman near a UK army training camp more than a dozen years ago, which has strained relations between the countries.
Agnes Wanjiru was found in a septic tank at the Lion's Court Hotel in the Kenyan town of Nanyuki in 2012, having last been seen at the hotel with a group of British soldiers.
A Kenyan magistrate concluded in an inquest in 2019 that she had been murdered by British troops, but until now, no formal request had been made to extradite a suspect.
The delay in securing justice has sparked outrage in Kenya, with Wanjiru's family and rights groups arguing that the killers were being shielded by a defence cooperation agreement that complicates the prosecution of British soldiers training in Kenya.
"We are grateful to see the Kenyan government has acted, although it has taken too long, and kept the family in darkness," Wanjiru's niece, Esther Njoki, told Reuters by telephone.
Wanjiru, a single mother of a then-four-month-old baby, was beaten and stabbed, and probably still alive when she was thrown into the septic tank, a magistrate said in 2019 in the inquest report that ruled that British soldiers had killed her.
"Justice Alexander Muteti granted the (arrest warrant), ruling that murder is an extraditable offence and that there was probable cause to institute murder charges against the accused," Kenya's Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) said on Tuesday.
It did not identify the suspect or say whether the suspect was a soldier.
Britain's Ministry of Defence said it remained committed to helping the family secure justice, but that it would not comment further as the case was subject to ongoing legal proceedings.
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
11 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
14 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
20 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
37 minutes -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
41 minutes -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
44 minutes -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
49 minutes -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
3 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
3 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
3 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
3 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
3 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours