Kylian Mbappe says he “asked to leave” Paris St-Germain amid interest from Real Madrid in the summer, but insists he remains happy in the French capital.
Real had a £137m bid for the 22-year-old striker rejected by PSG before a second improved offer in August was also reportedly turned down.
The Frenchman said he wanted the move to avoid leaving on a free transfer when his deal expires next summer.
“I wanted the club to have a fee for a quality replacement,” said Mbappe.
“My position was clear, I said that I wanted to leave.
“I did not appreciate the fact that they said I came [with the news he wanted to leave] in the last week of August. I said at the end of July that I wanted to go.
“I said it early enough so that the club could react. I wanted everyone to come out of this stronger, that we leave hand in hand.”
The World Cup-winning France international, who has scored 136 goals in 182 appearances for PSG since arriving from Monaco in August 2017, said he accepts the club’s decision not to sell him.
Remaining at the Parc des Princes means he now forms part of one of world football’s most impressive front three alongside Neymar and Lionel Messi, who arrived in August following his shock Barcelona exit.
“It is a club which brought me a lot,” Mbappe told RMC Sport.
“I have always been happy, the four years that I spent here, and I still am.
“I said, ‘if you don’t want me to go I will stay’.”
- Ghana to leverage on funerals to boost local tourism – Tourism Minister
- Tory Lanez ‘scared for his life’ in prison after Megan Thee Stallion shooting
- Samples from ‘most dangerous known rock in the Solar System’ brought to Earth
- Writers Guild, studios reach tentative deal, potentially ending monthslong strike that ground Hollywood to a halt
- Russian man imprisoned 22 years ago escapes on the day of his release
- 8 people describe the exact moment they knew they found someone worth the risk
- Bankye ampesi reduces risk of colon cancer
- Stop romanticizing the past so you can enjoy your life
- Woman who held 16 jobs simultaneously for three years never actually did any work
- The 5 potential stages of a breakup, according to relationship experts
- Osei Kyei-Mensah-Bonsu mourns late former MP for Bantama
- What is love bombing and how is it different from falling in love?
- Are You Dealing With a Narcissist or Just a Selfish Jerk?
- Man gored to death by bull at Spanish festival
- Asenso-Boakye mourns former Bantama MP