Hours of torrential rains this morning caused part of the Weija-Kasoa Ridge to slide, thus creating fear and panic among residents.
Residents say there was a loud bang from the mountain around 5:00am, after which they saw a portion of the mountain sliding.
The situation caused a huge traffic jam on the stretch which kept commuters in traffic for many hours before Police personnel arrived on the scene.
According to the residents, there have been warning signs but what happened on Tuesday morning has scared them, for which reason they are contemplating relocating.
Currently over 5,000 residents living around the troubled Weija-Kasoa Ridge on the banks of the Weija Dam in the Ga South Municipality of the Greater Accra Region, face imminent landslide in the likely event of a heavy rainfall or earthquake.
Some encroachers have been winning sand while others use explosives like dynamites to blast the rocks and sell them to contractors, which has weakened the base of the mountain.
The quarries, apart from posing dangerous risks to residents have ripped off the beautiful geographical scenery of the ridge.
Tons of sand and rock have been ripped away by diggers, excavators and bulldozers to provide concrete for sale to prospective buyers .
This has led to massive environmental destruction, big tunnels which go beneath the mountain.
This is believed to measure about 40 meters deep with cracks on the walls showing a clear evidence that the mountainous structure may cave in any time soon.
Walking through the curvy tunnel this morning was very scary as one can see stones falling .
The impact of the degradation has left a number of houses hanging on the ridge.
What makes the situation very dangerous is that the ridge is located at an earthquake-prone zone and earth tremors have occurred in the last few years raising serious concerns on the safety of residents.
- Exclusive: Lighthouse pastor in Madagascar speaks out on Larry Odonkor’s car sale saga
- I criticised Mahama and slept soundly – Prof Aning
- Swearing in of newly-elected GJA president blocked as journalist files injunction
- UDS graduate ventures into mobile car washing business after years of job dissatisfaction
- Shatta Wale fined ¢2k after pleading guilty to publication of false news
- Barker-Vormawor trial: Court orders AG to provide security report on alleged treasonable activities
- I slept at the cemetery because it was peaceful and comfortable – Founder of Cultivating Minds Foundation
- Check out how your favourite celebrities showed up at Mona4Reall’s birthday party
- ¢5m payment to NDA contravenes PPA approval in alleged signature forgery in ¢10m case
- Eno Barony dragged on Twitter for alleged body-shaming comment
Growing mob and violent mentality amongst youth worrying – Criminologist
Arise Ghana protestors granted bail
Pay cost of living allowances or face our wrath – GNAT tells government
Caught in Conflict: Procurement Specialist joins calls for probe into allegations
2022 CAF Awards: Ghana’s Kamaldeen Sulemana nominated for Young Player of the Year
Photos from one-sixteenth stage of Luv FM High School Debate
New GJA executives sworn into office
Dismissed PPA CEO explains the millions in his bank accounts
Man arrested for slapping MP at church in Uganda
Chinese builders unveil Zimbabwe’s new parliament
Joy FM’s Animwaa Anim-Addo ties the knot
Check out how your favourite celebrities showed up at Mona4Reall’s birthday party
Black Galaxies coach Annor Walker targets CHAN trophy
Asante Kotoko in talks with Fabio Gama over contract extension
SSNIT is the best scheme you can ever get – Workers told