Audio By Carbonatix
The Kenyan government has confirmed that 21 people have died following a landslide in the western part of the country after heavy rainfall.
Interior Minister Kipchumba Murkomen said the bodies had been transferred to a nearby airstrip after the landslide in Marakwet East late on Friday night.
He said on X that more than 30 people were still unaccounted for after being reported missing by their families while 25 people with serious injuries had been airlifted to receive further medical attention.
The Kenyan Red Cross, which is helping to coordinate rescue efforts, said that the most affected areas are still not accessible by road due to mudslides and flash flooding.
The Kenyan government paused the search and rescue operation on Saturday evening but said it would resume on Sunday.
"Preparation to supply more food and non-food relief items to the victims is underway," said Murkomen, adding: "Military and police choppers are on standby to transport the items."
Kenya is in its second rainy season when it usually experiences a few weeks of wet weather compared to a heavier, more prolonged period earlier in the year.
The government has urged people living near seasonal rivers as well as areas that experienced landslides on Friday to move to safer ground.
Meanwhile, flash flooding and landslides in Uganda, near the border with Kenya, have killed a number of people since last Wednesday.
On Saturday, the Uganda Red Cross said another mudslide had occurred in Kapsomo village in the east of the country, destroying a house and killing four people inside.
The Red Cross said floods had severely affected most villages near riverbanks in the Bulambuli District.
It said continuous heavy rainfall had caused the River Astiri and the River Sipi "to overflow, resulting in widespread destruction of homes, crop fields, and community infrastructure".
Latest Stories
-
Meko Bono 2026: Vice President pledges agricultural revival as Atebubu hosts grand homecoming
10 minutes -
Russian skydiver Sergey Boytcov sets world record with 11,551-metre stratosphere jump
14 minutes -
Ablakwa-led committee submits five reports to Mahama ahead of 2027 AU chairmanship
20 minutes -
Africa not seeking Western cash in reparations campaign – Ablakwa
36 minutes -
Production decline, reserve depletion threaten Ghana’s upstream sector – Jinapor
40 minutes -
Surveyors caution against treating compensation disputes as professional misconduct
43 minutes -
Mahama calls for AU dialogue on migration after South Africa xenophobic tensions
48 minutes -
I haven’t experienced any envy in the gospel music industry — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
Prayer does not solve everything — Ohemaa Mercy
2 hours -
New PURC office symbolises stronger consumer protection – Dr Jinapor
3 hours -
Rev. Wengam re-elected Assemblies of God, Ghana General SuperintendentÂ
3 hours -
Less than 20km of clearing left to connect Accra-Kumasi Expressway to Kumasi – Agbodza
3 hours -
US judge strikes down policy suspending immigrant visa processing for 75 nations
3 hours -
MCEs collecting fees from galamseyers are facilitating illegality – Ken Ashigbey
3 hours -
Developer LMI Holdings commits to completing first 700 Saglemi housing units
4 hours