The 2020 National Democratic Congress (NDC) flagbearer John Dramani Mahama has inaugurated his party’s manifesto committee with a charge to help rescue Ghanaians from the Akufo-Addo government.
Describing the government as a sinking ship, President Akufo-Addo’s main political rival said the opposition NDC also feels the suffering of ordinary Ghanaians.
Former President John Mahama, who lost power in the 2016 polls after one-term, said he has learnt some “useful lessons” since his exit and has also been gathering “effective feedback” from stakeholders.
He said he has had consultative meetings with the University Teachers Association of Ghana (UTAG), Ghana Medical Association (GMA), traditional authorities and the various religious groups and organisation.
He revealed plans to meet the Trades Union Congress, mine workers, student unions, market women and fishermen.
Laying down his expectations of the 21-member manifesto committee, Mahama said the document should be a “working and organic manifesto that is by the people and for the people.”
He said the manifesto should be a “sacred working contract with Ghanaians,” and “practical which at a glance states in clear and simple terms” what Ghanaians can expect from a future NDC government.
After explaining what the manifesto should be, he turned to explain what it should not be.
It should not be a document of “insincere promises” and convenient pledges such as the New Patriotic Party (NPP)’s 2016 manifesto, he said.
“We in the NDC will not lie to Ghanaians” he took a swipe at Akufo-Addo government.
Mahama lamented that after tasting three years of the Akufo-Addo government, some Ghanaians are losing faith in democracy and are beginning to consign themselves to apathy using quips such as “politicians are the same”, “it is no use voting”.
The government, he said, has taken its sacred social contract with Ghanaians for granted and have become “deeply demoralised” because promises have turned out to be a “grand deception.”
He said the 2020 general election could either “consolidate the faith of our people in republican democracy or shatter it for good.”
“We are coming to give you hope” Mahama described the NDC’s mission in 2020.
The 21-member committee includes four former ministers, two NDC flagbearer aspirant, Goosie Tanoh and Dr Ekwow Spio-Garbrah and a former deputy Governor of the Bank of Ghana Dr Johnson Asiama.
*Manifesto Committee *
1. Alex Mould
2. Prof GKT Oduro
3. Sabastian Deh
4. Napoleon Kpoh
5. Prof Kwaku Danso-Boafo
6. Opoku Kyeretwie
7. Michael Abbey
8. Spio Garbah
9. Prof Asiama
10. AGI Expert
11. Prof Nana Jane Opoku Agyeman
12. Harruna Iddrisu
13. Nana Oye Lithur
14. Benedict Lassey
15. Sam Pee Yalley
16. Prof John Gatsi
17. Dr Johnson Asiama
18. Dr Alhassan Yakubu
19. Dr William Ahadzie
20. Goosie Tanoh
21. Peter Otokunor
- Overborrowing is one of Akufo-Addo’s biggest mistakes – Prof Adei
- Fella Makafui reacts after Twitter user accuses her of ‘sleeping’ with Medikal’s ex-manager
- ‘Western Togoland’: 5 secessionists handed 5 years in jail each
- Ghana v Angola: Kingsley Schindler replaces injured Tariq Lamptey
- Ludacris hangs out with Sarkodie in Ghana, fans speculate new music
- GALLERY: Best pictures from Black Stars training at Accra Sports Stadium on Monday
- Go to school, don’t wait to get everything on your prospectus – Education Minister to SHS freshers
- My wife got to know she was pregnant after robbery attack – Akesse Brempong
- John Mahama files nomination to contest NDC flagbearer race
- Ambulance case: State abusing its prosecutorial powers – Ato Forson’s lawyers to court
- Kylian Mbappe replaces Hugo Lloris as France national team captain
- AFCON 2023Q: Black Stars hold first training at Baba Yara Stadium [Photos]
- Alpha Beta Christian College wins 2nd Inter-School Girls Debate Championship
- Today’s front pages: Wednesday, March 22, 2023
- Your electricity bill does not have a party colour – Samuel Mahama
- MFWA to hold national-level forum on misinformation, peace and democratic consolidation today
- MFWA builds capacity of journalists in fact-checking
- ECG building dockets on those who have stolen power – Samuel Mahama
- Digitalisation to help reduce ECG’s commercial losses – Samuel Mahama
- ECG mass disconnection campaign to be sustained indefinitely – Samuel Mahama
- We’ll meter all distribution transformers to fight power theft – Samuel Mahama
- Former Accra Regional Hospital Medical Director files nomination for Garu
- AFCON 2023Q: Goalpost collapses and injures Wollacott in training
- Ugandan parliament passes bill to jail gay people
- Ghana’s economy is still afloat because of Alan Kyerematen’s vision – Buaben Asamoah