Work is complete for transfer of mothers and their babies, staff as well as equipment from the old to the new Mother and Baby Unit at the Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital.
It paves way for full operations to begin next week to bring lasting relief to patients and health workers, Chief Executive, Dr. Oheneba Owusu-Danso told Nhyira FM on the sidelines of the annual performance review in Kumasi.
A JoyNews Special Assignment documentary in 2017, highlighted needless deaths of mothers and babies at the hospital mainly due to congestion.
The First Lady, Rebecca Akufo-Addo’s foundation partnered The Multimedia Group to raise funds to build a new facility.
Construction work was completed within five months and it was commissioned in January.
Dr. Oheneba Owusu-Danso says the wait has ended as technical issues initially associated with movement of staff and equipment is addressed.
"Let's say that by Monday [or] Tuesday, we should see full operation there. Directive from management is that, we want all services to have begun from there next week," he said.
Despite the movement to the new facility, some babies at the old facility will miss the deadline.
"The change-over has some technical issues that have to be normally tackled very prudently especially with little babies whose mortalities we are all worried about. There are two or more babies who may have to be kept at the old place for quite sometime before their movement because they are so fragile. But hopefully, by the weekend, everything would be sorted," he explained.
Meanwhile, management has declared the hospital a ‘drug- free' environment which makes it an offence for staff to be under the influence of alcohol and hard drugs.
At least, three workers have since been sacked for abuse of unspecified substances and Dr. Oheneba-Danso warns, there will be no compromise on such breach of disciplinary ethical measures.
" It is an offence for any staff member to abuse any substance including alcohol. While management will be prepared to assist rehabilitation of such staff, it will not hesitate to use disciplinary procedures of the hospital to dismiss recalcitrant ones."
Have your say
More Lifestyle Headlines
- Is it possible to stay sexually attracted to your spouse for life?
- Africa's largest solar powered project for a hospital commissioned at FOCOS Hospital
- Lady Adelaide Heward-Mills believes in privacy after marriage
- Esther Cobbah’s nuggets on how to deal with the unexpected in marriage
- Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Bespoke Ruby’s Bridal gowns at affordable prices
- 2019 Beauty and Bridal Fair:The most affordable price for your rings at The Nazarene
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: 9Twenty5 bead accessories for your wedding
- Photos from Day 3 of Joy FM's Beauty and Bridal Fair
- 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair: Your events are incomplete without Homeda Kente
- 5 texting signals that mean they're only interested in sex
- Upper West records highest malaria cases and related deaths
- 12 Photos you missed from Adjetey Anang, Elom’s 12th anniversary
- Photos: Day 2 of 2019 Joy Beauty and Bridal Fair
- Video: What did you wish you knew before marriage?
- Vaginal bacteria linked to ovarian cancer