Audio By Carbonatix
The Director of Elections for the National Democratic Congress (NDC), Elvis Afriyie Ankrah has defended former President John Mahama over allegations that he said the Electoral Commission thumb-printed one million ballot papers.
The Deputy Chairperson of the EC, in charge of Corporate Services, Bossman Asare said at a press conference on Moday, that, “the former president has said the EC thumb printed 1m ballots I favour of the NPP. This is untrue”
Speaking on Joy FM's Top story, on Monday, he said Mr Mahama did not make such a statement
“The former president never said the EC thumb-printed over I million ballot papers,” he said.
The press briefing was held by the Electoral Commission to address some allegations made by Mr Mahama during his recent 'thank you tours'.
Mr Bossman Asare said although EC believes the claims are false, allegations of ballot stuffing can undermine the credibility of the electoral process and thus should not be ignored. He therefore charged the Police to investigate the allegation.
However Mr Afriyie Ankrah said Mr Bossman Asare’s comment, “is a deliberate obfuscation of the issues”, adding that “he [Mr Bossman] has “deliberately taken something out of context and he has created something else and he is asking for a response.”
Meanwhile, Mr Mahama's actual words were, “More than one million ballot papers are created which the EC claimed happened by mistake but on the day of the election, some of the more than I million extra ballot had already been secretly thumb-printed in favor of the NPP and so these things dented the credibility of the polls and caused an embarrassment,” he told the Divisional Chief of Prestea, Nana Nteboah Pra.
Mr Afriyie Ankrah further explained that, what the NDC said which can be proved by video and documentary evidence is “After ballot papers were printed and dispatched in one of the printing houses, Unolink for Ashanti Region, they were dispatched, certificates of disposal were issued to show that all the excess ballots had been destroyed.
“There was an issue with one constituency, so we had to come back with our agents, when we came, we discovered over one million ballot papers and those papers when they were questioned, they gave conflicting answers and based on that we insisted that those ballots be destroyed... we took it to Korle Gonno, we videoed it and they were destroyed. These are factual evidences.
“Then on the Election Day, there were several ballot papers that were discovered, several people were arrested with actual thumb-printed ballots. And then several of the thump-printed ballots were found in the Ashanti Region.”
He emphasized that there is a difference between the 1 million ballot papers found which were printed for Ashanti Region alone on their blind side of which the agents at the polling station knew nothing about and the ones found in the ballot boxes.
Latest Stories
-
Data is the new gold — but most nations are still digging with shovels
5 minutes -
Tourism Minister pledges action on cultural infrastructure, pushes domestic tourism in Upper West
5 minutes -
“Measure success by the clinic, not the conference” — Mahama urges global health reform
13 minutes -
Charlotte Osei: Why sponsoring festivals like Oguaa Fetu Afahye is smart business
14 minutes -
“Let us not let reform be a ceiling” — Mahama calls for bold global health reforms
21 minutes -
BECE examination malpractices: Is there an end in sight?
30 minutes -
We’re not in Geneva to mourn aid cuts but to build health sovereignty — Mahama at 79th World Health Assembly
32 minutes -
Mahama calls for African ‘health sovereignty’ as global aid declines
38 minutes -
Africa cannot claim health sovereignty while producing less than 1% of vaccines — Mahama
43 minutes -
BoG undertakes new measures to strengthen financial sector – Second Deputy Governor
43 minutes -
The ‘forgotten Ghanaian fugitive with American and Ghanaian passports
50 minutes -
US aid suspension costs Ghana $78m, Mahama tells World Health Assembly
52 minutes -
Mahama touts Ghana’s free primary healthcare programme at World Health Assembly
1 hour -
Africa must take control of its health future — Mahama
1 hour -
Ghana on alert following Ebola outbreak in Uganda and DR Congo – Ministry of Health
1 hour